We assist Teacher Candidates to make connections among different learning experiences across the five program themes used to describe effective teaching, learning and professional practice:
- Demonstrate respect for students’ family, culture and language practices.
- Respond to individual needs of students.
- Encourage student responsibility for learning and classroom behaviour.
- Establish a safe and positive classroom climate.
- Establish rapport with students.
- Establish clear routines, procedures, and transitions.
- Employ effective classroom management strategies.
- Present lessons that allow children to build mastery of concepts.
- Research content of lessons to be presented.
- Develop lessons based on Ministry curriculum direction.
- Present accurate information.
- Make interdisciplinary connections clear to children.
- Plan clear and developmentally appropriate lessons.
- Clearly link lessons to Ministry curriculum.
- Implement and pace lesson plans effectively.
- Effectively plan, deliver and assess units of study.
- Use a variety of sound teaching methods.
- Motivate students and engage them in learning.
- Prepare materials and equipment ready in advance.
- Differentiate instruction to meet individual needs.
- Integrate technologies appropriately into instruction.
- Employ a variety of assessment techniques.
- Use assessment data to plan instruction.
- Provide effective and timely feedback to students.
- Build a classroom community that celebrates social justice and equity.
- Cultivate professional relationships with associate teachers, principals, and other school staff.
- Communicate effectively with parents.
- Contribute positively to school community.
- Demonstrate consistent punctual attendance.
- Demonstrate initiative, enthusiasm, and effort.
- Model clear oral and written communication.
- Demonstrate professional attire and appearance.
- Demonstrate willingness to accept constructive criticism.
- Accept responsibility for own behaviour.
- Uphold the principles of the ethical standards of care, integrity, trust, and respect.
- Engage in ongoing reflection to improve practice.
- Maintain confidentiality and respect privacy of students and colleagues.