The Edna Staebler Laurier Writer-in-Residence program is a residency for Canadian writers. We offer both shorter, visiting author opportunities and longer residencies, depending on available funds and local planning initiatives from year to year. All Canadian writers of established literary reputation in fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction or drama are encouraged to apply.
The writer-in-residence will receive $25,000 for a 12-week residency, a compensation rate per week commensurate with Canada Council funding (e.g. approximately $2,000 per week). Eleven weeks will be spent on Laurier’s Waterloo campus, and one week on Laurier’s Brantford campus. Laurier will provide accommodation close to campus for the chosen writer. Travel expenses to get to and from the residency will also be covered (within Canada).
The full-time position (40 hours per week) requires 40% of the author’s time to be spent on community programs or projects on Laurier's three campuses, leaving 60% of the work week available for the writer’s own creative projects. Community programs and projects include:
Note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Edna Staebler Laurier Writer-in-Residence program is currently on hold. We are monitoring the situation; all updates will be posted to this page.
Laurier’s Edna Staebler Writer-in-Residence Carrianne Leung to speak during public event
Novelist Carrianne Leung named Laurier’s Edna Staebler Writer-in-Residence
Novelist and poet Gary Barwin chosen as Laurier’s Edna Staebler Writer in Residence
Emily Urquhart named Edna Staebler Writer in Residence for winter 2018
Pasha Malla named Edna Staebler Writer in Residence for fall 2017
Edna Staebler Writer-in-Residence Ashley Little launches residency with public talk at Laurier
Ashley Little named 2017 Edna Staebler Writer in Residence
Edna Staebler Writer-in-Residence Drew Hayden Taylor to host second public talk at Laurier
Edna Staebler Laurier Writer-in-Residence Drew Hayden Taylor to spend week at Brantford campus
Drew Hayden Taylor named 2016 Edna Staebler Laurier Writer in Residence
Laurier welcomes acclaimed poet Sonnet L’Abbé as Edna Staebler Writer-in-Residence
We see you are accessing our website on IE8. We recommend you view in Chrome, Safari, Firefox or IE9+ instead.×