Steps to Apply
- Regular Track programs require a bachelor’s degree; Advanced Standing programs require a BSW degree. See admission requirements for details.
- Step 1 (OUAC Application) must be completed by the application close date as noted below.
Note: Laurier reserves the right to close applications to the part-time online MSW programs at any time after the application open date without notice. Therefore, if you are interested in a specific entry term, plan to complete Step 1 as early as possible.
- All supplemental materials as noted in the MSW Application Checklist must be uploaded and submitted by the Supplemental Documentation due date.
- If you are re-applying for the MSW program, note that some of our forms have changed. The older forms will not be accepted. See the list below for updated information.
- Please use "Review" button to download a copy of your application and check your documents.
- Ensure your transcripts are legible, documents are facing the right direction, scrutinize for typos, etc.
- Fix and re-upload any document corrections.
- When you are sure everything is correct and you are satisfied with your submission, click on “Submit my application.” After this point, changes cannot be made to your application.
- We encourage you to ask your referees to submit by the Step 2 Supplemental Documentation due date however, we will honour the full 14 days from the date they received the email request to submit the online reference without penalty to the applicant.
- Applications missing documents after the Supplemental Documentation Due date and/or the referee 14-day window will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.
- Once your application is submitted, the application is received in real-time and no further confirmation of receipt of application is provided.
- No further updates will be provided on the application until decisions are issued. See Target for Decision dates below.
A list of required documents is listed in the MSW Application Checklist below. Please visit our Graduate Admissions Toolkit for more information about applying, specific info on supplemental documents, FAQ’s, troubleshooting etc.
On-Campus Programs: Full-time, Fall Entry Only
Program application deadlines are firm. Late applications are not accepted.
Full-time MSW Program Application Timeline
||OUAC Application Open for Step 1
||OUAC Application Closes for Step 1
||Supplemental Documentation Due as per Step 2
||Target for Decisions on Applications as per Step 31
|MSW Advanced Standing
|MSW Regular Track
|MSW Regular Track – MDiv2
|MSW Advanced Standing – Indigenous Field of Study (full- and part-time programs)
1 Target dates are noted but are subject to external factors.
2 For MDiv/MSW program applicants: This program is jointly administered by Martin Luther University College and the Faculty of Social Work at Laurier. Applicants are required to apply to each area separately (Luther and Social Work) and to complete the application form and submit documentation and application fees as required for each area, by the specific deadlines for each program. When applying to the Faculty of Social Work, indicate in your personal statement that your anticipated program is the MDiv/MSW. Only applications for September (fall term) starts are considered.
Online Programs: Part-Time Only
For both the MSW Regular Track and MSW Advanced Standing programs, applications are accepted during the following time periods:
Part-time MSW Program Application Timeline
||OUAC Application Closes for Step 11
||Supplemental Documentation Due as per Step 2
||Target for Decisions on Application as per Step 32
- TBD = To be determined. Due to program demand, applications may close without notice at any time after the application opening date once we have reached our maximum threshold of applications for each program. Applicants should consider completing Step 1 of the application as close to the opening date as possible. For example:
- Regular Track for Winter 2023 closed after 24 hours.
- Advanced Standing for Winter 2023 closed after 10 days.
- Dates for Step 2 completed applications are firm and will not be changed from the dates noted above.
- Targets for decisions are noted but are subject to external factors.
About three to five days after you have submitted your OUAC application, paid the non-refundable application fee, and Laurier has received your application, you'll receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org advising you to upload the additional required documentation to Laurier’s Online Registration & Information System (LORIS).
An application for admission to all MSW programs must include:
- The Application Summary: this PDF is generated after you complete your OUAC application (log back in to OUAC to retrieve it if you did not download it after submission).
- Transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work from universities as well as any degrees or diplomas from colleges, including those at which you were enrolled but did not complete a program. This includes institutions that may appear as transfer credits or exchange programs on your degree transcripts. You must submit a full and complete post-secondary academic history. If you require more than the transcript spaces, email email@example.com to request the number of additional spaces needed.
- New! Statement of Intent: Please use the Statement of Interest form. This form includes:
- Specific questions from the faculty. Read the instructions and answer questions thoughtfully and reflexively.
- Graduate exemption requests for previous graduate work (if applicable).
- Field Placement Agreement; Read and agree to the declarations.
- New! Human Service Organizations Summary – A completed Experience Profile form.
- A resume of your academic and work experience. Include a history of your publication and scholarly paper activity and any other information you feel will interest the admissions committee.
- There is no set format for this document however, we ask that you fully describe your duties for work and volunteer experiences that are particularly relevant to the social work field as well as the approximate number of hours for each experience.
- New! Completed reference forms. Two references are required. One (1) Academic and one (1) Professional.*
*Note: Applicants who have been out of school for three or more years, and who cannot obtain an academic reference, will be required to submit a 2nd professional reference in its place. A professional reference is someone who can speak to your work and/or volunteer experience in human services. Do not include personal references from friends and family. Reference forms are electronically submitted to Laurier by the referee and do not need to be uploaded by the applicant.
Required only if applicable to the applicant:
- Proficiency in written and spoken English is essential to graduate studies at Laurier. Applicants whose language of instruction during their previous postsecondary education was not in English must submit evidence of proficiency in English. If applicable, results from accepted testing services must be uploaded to LORIS.
- For permanent Canadian residents, evidence of your status in Canada is required. You must provide a photocopy of your signed "Record of Landing" or photocopies of both sides of your permanent resident card.