Join us for an exciting week of Korean culture, music and dance workshops held through the Laurier Faculty of Music! Sessions include discussions with guest Korean composer and conductors, presentations on Korean cuisine, language and culture, and workshops that explore a variety of Korean dances and music. Be prepared to actively move and sing and help us celebrate the Korean culture as we approach the Korean New Year on January 22!
Schedule of Workshops (January 16-20, 2023)
Monday, Jan. 16, 2023, A318
- 4:30 - 5 p.m. – Discussion and Q&A with Korean composer, Texu Kim (virtual guest), who will share his compositions.
- 5 - 6 p.m. – Explore Korean traditional rhythms and songs with Dr. HyeYoun Jang. You’re invited to sing along!
Tuesday, Jan. 17, 2023, Theatre Auditorium
- 4 - 5 p.m. – Discover various Korean composers and musical styles with Dr. HyeYoun Jang.
- 5 - 6 p.m. - Learn a variety of Korean dances (including K-pop!) with guests (part 1 of 3). Be prepared to move!
Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2023, A318
- 4:30 - 5 p.m. - Conducting Clinic with Dr. HyeYoun Jang, Laurier student assistant conductors, and the Laurier Symphony Orchestra
- 5 - 6 p.m. – Engage in a Korean drum workshop with guests (part 2 of 3). Come ready to shake things up!
Thursday, Jan. 19, 2023, Theatre Auditorium
- 4 - 5 p.m. – Take a sneak peek (and sniff!) at what goes into Korean cuisine with Dr. HyeYoun Jang
- 5 - 6 p.m. – Combine your skills in this final Korean dance and drumming workshop with guests (part 3 of 3). This workshop centers on the theme of harmony with guests and students working and playing together.
Friday, Jan. 20, 2023, A221
- 1 - 2 p.m. – Learn basics of the Korean language, culture, and history with KyongBin Kim.
- HyeYoun Jang (Conductor, Ewha Womans University)
- Kyongbin Kim (Instructor, Korean Education Centre of Korean Consulate, Toronto)
- Texu Kim (Composer, Assistant Professor of Music Composition and Theory, San Diego State University, USA)
- Hee Rin Kim (Founder/Director, Dance Instructor, Navillera Korean Dance Company, Toronto)
- Ji Hyun Back (Dancer and Dance Instructor, Toronto)
- Elly Ha (Dancer and Dance Instructor, Toronto)