Laurier video auditions should be pre-recorded without editing and uploaded as unlisted videos to YouTube.
Recording your video audition:
- We would prefer that your audition is recorded as one uninterrupted video.
- If this is not possible, you can record each piece separately but we ask that you attempt to have the pieces edited together as one video.
- If it is not possible to submit your audition as one link, we will accept multiple links.
- You face and hands must be visible while performing.
- Announce the following at the beginning the recording (or insert a slide):
- This recording is for my Wilfrid Laurier University, Faculty of Music Entrance Audition.
- Announce (or insert a slide) the name of the piece and composer before playing each piece.
- Pre-recorded or live piano accompaniment may be used for your audition.
- If you are applying to our Bachelor of Music (not Bachelor of Music: Community Music) and you can't find a recording of your accompaniment, one of our Coach-Accompanists can provide a recording (free of charge) for your Laurier audition. Your request must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org four weeks prior to your audition.
Uploading your video audition
- Sign up for a YouTube account or sign in to your existing account.
- If your audition video is longer than 15 minutes you will have to extend the YouTube upload limit.
- To do this click on the link which says, “Upload HD videos in various formats up to 15 minutes. Increase your limit,” and is located on the YouTube upload screen.
- Follow the instructions on YouTube to start uploading your video.
- After uploading your video, make sure you do the following steps:
- Enter your full name into the title field on your YouTube video upload screen.
- Change the “Privacy Settings” to Unlisted – DO NOT set it to Private or Public.
- Why should I not set the Privacy Settings to “Private”? The “Private” setting prevents anyone from seeing your video except for those with whom you specifically share it. An “Unlisted” video is available to only those with whom you share the URL.
- Test your video to make sure it works before sending us the link.
Sending Laurier your video audition
- Copy and paste the link to your audition video into an email addressed to email@example.com.
- The link to your video must be received a minimum of one week before your scheduled Zoom interview.
- When we receive the link to your video, we will test the beginning to make sure it works and confirm we have recieved it by email. If you do not get this confirmation from us within a week, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If possible, use quality video and sound equipment.
- If you are using an HD camera, setting it to a lower resolution will save you time when uploading to YouTube (360p or 480p is good enough).
- If you can, set the sound quality to better or best stereo, but no need for “Surround Sound”.
- With consumer level video cameras, it sounds best when the camera is 10 to 20 feet away. If the room is more live, placing the camera close to you usually helps.
- Test and adjust your equipment thoroughly prior to recording your entire audition.