A way in which we assist Teacher Education Candidates (TECs) in making connections among different learning experiences and understandings is to present throughout the program four themes that can be used to describe what effective classrooms are like, and what effective teachers do.
- Demonstrate respect for students’ diverse family backgrounds.
- Respond to individual needs of students.
- Encourage student responsibility for learning and classroom behaviour.
- Establish a safe and positive classroom climate.
- Establish rapport with students.
- Establish clear routines, procedures, and transitions.
- Employ effective classroom management strategies.
- Present lessons that allow children to build mastery of concepts.
- Research content of lessons to be presented.
- Develop lessons based on ministry curricula.
- Present accurate information.
- Make interdisciplinary connections clear to children.
- Plan clear and developmentally-appropriate lessons.
- Clearly link lessons to ministry curriculum.
- Implement and pace lesson plans effectively.
- Effectively plan, deliver and assess units of study.
- Use a variety of sound teaching methods.
- Motivate students and engage them in learning.
- Have material and equipment ready in advance.
- Differentiate instruction to meet individual needs.
- Integrate technologies appropriately into instruction.
- Employ a variety of assessment techniques.
- Use assessment data to plan instruction.
- Provide effective and timely feedback to students.
- Build a classroom community that celebrates social justice and equity.
- Cultivate professional relationships with associate teachers, principals, and other school staff.
- Communicate effectively with parents.
- Contribute positively to school community.
- Demonstrate consistent punctual attendance
- Demonstrate initiative, enthusiasm, and effort
- Model clear oral and written communication
- Demonstrate professional attire and appearance
- Demonstrate willingness to accept constructive criticism
- Accept responsibility for own behaviour
- Uphold the principles of the ethical standards of care, integrity, trust, and respect
- Engage in ongoing reflection to improve practice
- Maintain confidentiality and respect privacy of students and colleagues