To be considered for the position of Edna Staebler Visiting Author, you must meet the following requirements and apply no later than 11 p.m. on May 14, 2018.
To become the Edna Staebler Visiting Author, you must:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
- Have an established literary reputation for critically well-received work published in one or more of the following genres: fiction, poetry, drama or creative non-fiction.
- Have professional teaching or public speaking experience.
- Have a willingness to engage with students and the public in both one-on-one and group settings.
- Be an active participant in the writing community.
- Be in the midst of a new full-length writing project intended for publication or performance.
Applications for the Edna Staebler Visiting Author position must include the following, in a single PDF document:
- A cover letter, including:
- A clear statement of your availability during the proposed dates.
- A statement of what you hope to achieve during the residency.
- Several methods of contacting you immediately should your application be successful.
- A literary CV, including:
- Complete details for all published books and produced plays, screenplays or performance art.
- All received writing awards, prizes and other honours.
- Related volunteer and work experience teaching, mentoring, editing, assessing manuscripts, leading workshops, etc.
- Two letters of reference from members of the writing community that discuss your abilities as a writer and as a mentor to other writers. Important: Letters of reference must be sent by the referee directly to staeblerWIR@wlu.ca.
- A 15-20-page sample from recent published or unpublished work (double-spaced, 12-point font).
- Reviews of published or produced work in nationally recognized publications.
The following will be considered assets:
- Experience in writing in more than one genre.
- Experience in working with young people.
- Experience in working with the public and with beginning writers.
How to Apply
Applications must be received by 11 p.m. on May 14, 2018. A decision will be made promptly, so please make sure that your cover letter indicates the best method(s) of contacting you. The successful applicant will be asked to commit to residency dates in writing by July 7, 2018. Wilfrid Laurier University reserves the right not to award the residency should no suitable candidate be found by the deadline.
With the important exception of letters of recommendation which are to be sent separately by the referees, all documents that make up the application package must be sent in a single PDF document.
Please apply electronically by sending materials to staeblerWIR@wlu.ca. The address will be open for applications beginning April 1, 2018.