The Canada Research Continuity Emergency Fund (CRCEF) is part of the Government of Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan. The temporary program has been established to help sustain the research enterprise at Canadian universities and health-research institutions that have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. It is expected that the program will help reduce negative impacts of the pandemic and ensure that the benefits of significant investments to date in universities and health research institutions are protected. This will maintain Canada’s international competitiveness in the global, knowledge-based economy, and contribute to Canadians’ health and social and cultural lives, as well as the health of Canada’s natural environment.
The program, which has a total budget of $450 million, has two objectives:
The program includes four funding stages. Three of the stages (Stages 1, 2 and 4) exclusively provide wage support for eligible research-related personnel. The remaining stage (Stage 3) supports incurred costs associated with maintenance and ramp-up of research activities. For all stages, institutions must demonstrate the need to access the emergency funds.
Wilfrid Laurier University is a thriving academic community where equity, diversity, inclusion (EDI) and Indigeneity are part of our core values as a learning institution. We recognize that teaching and learning, and the creation and dissemination of new knowledge, must take place in an institution that recognizes the dignity and value of each and every one of its students, staff and faculty members.
Laurier is committed to upholding the highest standards of EDI in administration and management of the CRCEF program. All processes of the CRCEF will be overseen by Laurier’s existing Research Services Council (RSC). The RSC will be responsible for:
The following measures were put in place to ensure EDI-informed decision-making:
More details on CRCEF can be found on the Government of Canada CRCEF program page.
Laurier is now undertaking an open call for requests for stage-three funding from CRCEF to support research maintenance and ramp-up costs incurred due to COVID-19
Only direct costs of research that are extraordinary and incremental to those already covered by existing sources of funds, and have been incurred between March 15 and Nov. 15, 2020, are eligible for reimbursement. Up to 75 per cent of such costs may be reimbursed by CRCEF, with the remaining 25 per cent being reimbursed by the Office of Research Services.
Extraordinary incremental costs incurred for research projects funded by all funding sources including governmental, non-governmental and internal funding sources are eligible for stage three support. Extraordinary incremental costs are defined as unanticipated additional costs that would not normally have been incurred in the absence of the COVID-19 pandemic and cannot be funded by existing sources of funds.
Applicants must justify the need for the funds based on actual and forecasted committed costs incurred between March 15 and Nov. 15, 2020. Eligible expenses include costs associated with the following categories:
Costs incurred within the eligible period and associated with maintaining essential research-related activities during the pandemic that are exceptional and incremental to those already covered by existing sources of funds. This includes:
Costs incurred within the eligible period and associated with full ramp-up of research activities, as physical distancing measures are eased and research activities can resume. Only costs that are exceptional and incremental to those already covered by existing sources of funds will be supported. Eligible expenses include those incurred at the project level and associated with:
All Laurier faculty members holding external grant funding are eligible to apply.
Laurier has been allocated an institutional envelope from the CRCEF program. Laurier will approve all eligible requests if the total value of requests does not exceed the envelope.
If requests exceed the institutional envelope, Laurier will conduct an adjudication process. In this event, applicants may be required to submit further information for consideration. The adjudication will be conducted by the RSC who will make recommendations for final decision by the Vice-President: Research and Vice-President: Academic.
Priority consideration will be given to:
The RSC may consider additional criteria, which could include the following:
All faculty members wishing to request funding from the CRCEF program should email Charity Parr-Vasquez with a brief description of the request, current funding source and budget. Submissions must be received by Nov. 25, 2020.
If you are unable to submit a request by this deadline due to ongoing pandemic-related commitments such as caregiving or childcare, please contact Charity Parr-Vasquez to seek accommodation and assistance.
Jonathan Newman, Vice-President: Research