This online version is for convenience; the official version of this policy is housed in the University Secretariat. In case of discrepancy between the online version and the official version held by the Secretariat, the official version shall prevail.
Approved By: President
Original Approval Date: August 15, 2007
Date of Most Recent Review/Revision: August 15, 2007
Office of Accountability: Vice-President: Finance and Administration
Administrative Responsibility: Human Resources Office
This policy governs those staff members who wish to be reimbursed for courses and/or programs taken at other post secondary institutions that relate to the career development of the individual. This policy applies to all full time members of the Management Function staff.
Terms and Conditions
A staff member may receive tuition support under the following terms and conditions:
- The program must be recommended by the staff member’s Manager/Department Chair and be approved by the appropriate Vice-President and President.
- The course or program of study must not be offered by Wilfrid Laurier University.
- Financial support will be contingent upon successful completion of the course and reimbursed at 100% of the equivalent fee levied by Laurier for its non full cost recovery programs.
- A reimbursement for fees levied by other institutions for their full cost recovery programs may be authorized by the President up to the equivalent fees levied by Wilfrid Laurier University for its full cost recovery programs.
- Doctoral programs are not eligible for financial support under this policy.
- In certain circumstances, the cost of text books and course packs may be reimbursed with the approval of the President.
- This policy is governed by all federal and provincial income tax legislation and the university is not responsible for any liability that may arise as a result of the provision of this benefit.
- Except when expressly authorized by the President other fees, travel and associated costs are not eligible for reimbursement.
- Time taken by staff during non scheduled work hours to attend classes or other course related activities shall not be compensable.
- Generally, courses are expected to be taken on the staff member’s own time. However, where such courses are only offered during working hours, the staff member may take leave, with their supervisor’s approval, and provided that the staff member makes up the lost time through flexible work assignments.
- The university reserves the right to decide upon any administrative matter not specified in this policy.
- Human Resources and/or Financial Services will administer this policy.