March 1, 2016
For Immediate Release
WATERLOO – The 88th Academy Awards ceremony hosted on Feb. 28 explored many current topics including gendered and sexual violence and environmentalism.
The following Laurier experts are available to comment on these issues.
- Philippa Gates, a professor in Laurier’s Film Studies program, is an expert in Hollywood film and is available to comment on the current trends in Hollywood. Contact information: email@example.com.
- Robert McLeman, associate professor in Laurier’s Department of Geography and Environmental Studies, is an expert on climate-related migration and environmental refugees. He is also a co-director of RinkWatch.org, a citizen-science project that uses information from backyard skating rinks to track climate variability and change, and NatureWatch.ca, a project that collects information from people via their smartphones about frogs, flowering plants, and frozen lakes and rivers. Contact information: 519-884-0710 x2653, (cell) 519-580-0384 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jennifer Baltzer, associate professor Laurier’s Department of Biology and Canada Research chair in Forests and Global Change, is an expert on the impact of warming temperatures to the boreal forest. Contact information: 519-504-5025 or email@example.com.
For more experts on climate change please visit: wlu.ca/media.
Sexual and Gendered Violence
- Stacey Hannem, associate professor in Laurier’s Department of Criminology, is an expert on the effects of crime on the lives of marginalized and vulnerable persons. Hannem is passionate about contributing to the improvement of the Canadian criminal justice system. Contact information: 519-756-8228 x5785, (cell) 519-755-2053 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jennifer Root, assistant professor in Laurier’s Lyle S. Hallman Faculty of Social Work, is an expert on gender-based violence including intimate partner violence, child exposure to woman abuse, and other forms of trauma perpetrated against women and girls. Contact information: 519-756-8228 x5458 or email@example.com.
- Bruce Gillespie, associate professor in Laurier’s Digital Media and Journalism program, is an expert on journalism and the state of Canadian media. Contact information: 519-756-8228 x5862 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
– 30 –