Skip to main content

Join us at Laurier

Becoming a Golden Hawk means more than just cheering on our (really good) varsity teams – it means being a student who cares about your community, who works hard in the classroom, and who takes advantage of all the learning opportunities that can happen outside the classroom, too.

Print | PDF

This online version is for convenience; the official version of this policy is housed in the University Secretariat. In case of discrepancy between the online version and the official version held by the Secretariat, the official version shall prevail.

Approving Authority: President

Original Approval Date: May 20, 1976

Date of Most Recent Review/Revision: December 10, 2015

Office of Accountability: Vice-President: Research

Administrative Responsibility: Office of Research Services


1.0 Anyone associated with the university who:

a. Conducts research requiring the use of animals; or

b. Is involved in testing or teaching requiring the use of animals; or

c. Uses University facilities for such research, testing, or teaching; or

d. Participates in such a research, testing, or teaching project administered by the university;

must obtain the approval of the Wilfrid Laurier University Animal Care Committee before starting the activity.

This policy is in place to ensure that any funding acquired by a researcher, not limited to Tri-Council Funding, will not be released until approval is obtained from the Animal Care Committee.


2.00 WLU Animal Care Committee

The WLU Animal Care Committee is responsible for ensuring that research, testing, or teaching using animals complies with applicable federal and provincial legislation and regulations, the guidelines and ethics statements of the Canadian Council on Animal Care, and applicable university policies. The committee is responsible to the Vice-President: Research and is appointed by the Vice-President: Research on the advice of the Dean of Science. Information on the responsibilities, authority, and composition of the committee is available on the Office of Research Services website.


3.01 Release of Funds

The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) and the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), collectively known as the Tri-Council Funding Agencies, require that applicants obtain approval from the Animal Care Committee before funding can be released.

3.02 Protocol Approval

An animal use protocol must be submitted to and approved by the university Animal Care Committee before any research, testing, or teaching requiring animals is initiated by anyone associated with the university or using university facilities. This requirement applies to faculty, students, staff, research associates, and all other personnel regardless of the type or source of funding and whether the activity is on or off the campus. This requirement also applies to all animal research, testing, or teaching projects administered by the university which are to be conducted in the field or in a facility not owned or operated by the university. Protocols for those who are not faculty members must be submitted under the name of the faculty member supervising the project.

This is a requirement under the Ontario Animals for Research Act and the Canadian Council of Animal Care Guidelines for the Care and Use of Experimental Animals. Animal Use Protocol Forms and further information on obtaining a protocol are available on the Office of Research Services website or from the Chair of the Animal Care Committee, whose name may be obtained from the Office of Research Services.

Related Policies, Procedures and Documents


We see you are accessing our website on IE8. We recommend you view in Chrome, Safari, Firefox or IE9+ instead.