Wilfrid Laurier University invites members of the university community and the general public to nominate worthy individuals for honorary degrees and the Order of Wilfrid Laurier University.
- All individuals nominated as candidates will be considered, in strictest confidence, by the Senate Honorary Degree Committee.
- Recommendations of the Senate Honorary Degree Committee will be forwarded to the Senate Executive Committee for its consideration.
- Names of the candidates approved by the Senate Executive Committee will be kept on a reserve list for five years.
- Recipients will be selected by the President from among the approved candidates on the reserve list.
- Due to the confidential nature of the proceedings, nominators will be contacted after consideration only if the candidate is selected to receive an honour.
Tips for Preparing a Successful Nomination
- The nomination should be written so that it can be understood by non-specialists.
- Strong nominations are “fact heavy” and provide evidence of what makes the nominee exceptional.
- A compelling nomination should describe the difference the nominee has made and context for the nominee’s actions (e.g., before and after, scale of achievement, sustainability and impact, how the nominee is different).
- Strong nominations distinguish between the success of the individual and the success of an organization.
- Nomination deadlines are Nov. 15 for spring convocation and Feb. 15 for fall convocation (or the first business day after the 15 of the respective month).
- Note: All information submitted will be kept confidential. It is recommended that nominees not be advised of their nomination.
- For detailed information, including eligibility requirements and the review process, refer to Honorary Degrees and Order of Wilfrid Laurier University.
- If you have questions, contact Associate University Secretary Rebecca Barnes, firstname.lastname@example.org or 519.884.0710 x2981.