Skip to main content

Join us at Laurier

Becoming a Golden Hawk means more than just cheering on our (really good) varsity teams – it means being a student who cares about your community, who works hard in the classroom, and who takes advantage of all the learning opportunities that can happen outside the classroom, too.

Thank you for your interest in Laurier. If you are an international applicant, the following information answers important questions you may have about our English-proficiency requirements, international student fees, financial aid and obtaining a study visa.

English Proficiency

Proficiency in usage, both written and oral, is essential to pursue graduate studies at Laurier. Applicants whose language of instruction during the undergraduate degree was other than English must provide evidence of English proficiency prior to admission.

Normally, this evidence is an acceptable score on one of the following:

These tests are offered in Canada, the United States and many other countries. You are responsible for having the test results sent to Laurier in time for admission.

Minimum Scores

  • TOEFL iBT: minimum score of 89, with minimum skill scores of 21 in each of the skills tests (speaking, writing, reading and listening)
  • Paper-based TOEFL: minimum of 573
  • IELTS: minimum score of 7
  • PTE: minimum score of 60
  • MELAB: minimum score of 90
  • CAEL: minimum score of 70

Individual programs may have additional language requirements, and it is your responsibility to ascertain the nature of these requirements and to fulfill them.

Fees and Financial Aid

Understanding the cost of graduate studies is an important part of your decision to apply for a graduate degree program at Laurier. Learn more about our international tuition and fees.

Applying for a Study Permit

For complete information on the documentation and immigration requirements for studying in Canada, visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Students admitted to Laurier on a study permit must present their valid permit (and temporary resident visa, if applicable) to the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies office to confirm their registration no later than the last date of late registration for the term of entry.

It may take several months to receive a study permit, so we advise you to apply for a permit well in advance of the anticipated start date of your program.


Applicants who have sponsorship funding (e.g. from an external organization or government) must email their sponsorship letter to Once received, the letter will be attached to the application. The letter must include the following information:

  • The legal name of the funded applicant.
  • The duration of the sponsorship.
  • The items to be covered through the sponsorship (e.g. tuition and incidental fees, living allowance, etc.), and limitations of the funding commitment, if any.
  • The complete name and address of the sponsoring agency.

We see you are accessing our website on IE8. We recommend you view in Chrome, Safari, Firefox or IE9+ instead.