Go Back to Main
Instructions for Setting Up WLU Wireless for Windows XP
This setup takes about 15 minutes to complete. There are 14 small steps to complete.
Please follow the instructions step-by-step.
Any omission or typo will cause the connection to fail (computers can't interpret).
Note: Some Laptops have their own Wireless Connection Management Utilities.
*These instructions relate ONLY to the standard Windows Wireless setup tools.*
-It is recommended that you let Windows manage your wireless networking.
-Often these extra utilities can be turned off by going to their "Options" or "Preferences" settings
and finding the option to "Let Windows manage my Wireless Connections" or similar.
**IMPORTANT: You will need your WLU Network, Login Name and Password to complete this setup. **
1. To begin you will need to download and install the SecureW2 program. Get it HERE.
After download completes, Run the program to install it.
You will be required to Restart your computer when installation completes.
2. After your computer restarts click on the 'Start' menu and go to the Control Panel.
3. (If your list looks different than that shown below: Look to the left menu and click on 'Switch to Classic View'.)
In the Control Panel list, open 'Network Connections' by Double-Clicking on it or Right-Clicking and choosing the 'Open' option.
4. Right-Click on the 'Wireless Network Connections' icon and then click on 'Properties'.
5. In the Association Tab:
Set the Network Name (SSID) to 'laurierwireless'.
Set the 'Network Authentication' type to 'WPA'.
Set the 'Data Encryption type to 'AES' (THIS IS NEW was TKIP).
6. In the Authentication Tab:
Set the 'EAP Type' to 'SecureW2 TTLS' then Click on the 'Properties' Button.
(If asked click on OK to allow the W2 security program to run.)
7. Click on the 'Configure' button.
8. In the 'Connection' tab: Clear the checkbox for 'Use alternate outer identity'.
9. In the 'Certificates' tab: Clear the checkbox for 'Verify Server Certificate'.
10. In the 'Authentication' tab: Set the 'Select Authentication Method' to PAP.
11. In the 'User Account' tab.
- Clear the checkbox for 'Prompt User for Credentials' to log in automatically.
- Enter your Username and Password.
- Leave the 'Domain' blank.
- Click 'OK' and close all related windows to complete the setup.
If you cleared the 'Prompt User for Credentials' check box then YOU ARE DONE!
If your User/Login Name and Password are correct then you should automatically
connect to 'laurierwireless'. * See step 14.
12. If you did not clear the 'Prompt User for Credentials' checkbox
you will see this notification when your system tries to connect to laurierwireless.
13. Enter your LoginName and Password and click OK.
14. After a small delay, while the wireless connection is made, you should see this notification.
Questions? Email: Harry Guenther
Go Back to Main