Site Accessibility Statement
Wilfrid Laurier University Faculty of Science
July 25, 2016

Canadian Excellence

Academic Advising/ FAQ's

Academic Advising/ FAQ's


We have two undergraduate Academic Advisors.

For ungergraduate students with their last name beginning with A to K your Academic Advisor is:† Dr. M. Gwynn

For undergraduate students with their last name beginning with L to Z your Academic Advisor is:† Dr. N. Kocovski

Any questions not answered on our Academic Counselling page:†† you can contact the advisor.†

Please DO NOT contact Dr. Gwynn or Dr. Kocovski directly but use the Psychology Advising email address:† or Kim Susanna at† This helps us keep all the emails in the right place.†


To make an appointment with the advisors, please contact Kim Susanna at† who will make the appointment with the advisor assigned to you.†


If not, please contact the psychology office room N2006 or call ext. 3665 to book an appointment.

NOTE:† During certain times of year the appointments fill up quickly and you may have to wait a week or so to get an appointment.

1. Iím a high school student interested in Laurierís Psychology program.† What do I
need to take?

Answer: That depends on which program you want. The links below shows you the high school requirements for the various Psychology programs (Bsc: Biology/Psychology; Computer Science/Psychology, Psychology; BA: Psychology)
BSc degrees: Click Here
BA degrees: Click Here

2. What if I don't have the correct Math to get into Psychology?

Answer: There are several possibilities to make up the appropriate math.† First, view Question 1 to see which math is required.† Then, you could take an online math course at a place like or, take a night course at an adult learning centre (e.g., St. Louis Adult Learning Centre), or, take any 1st year math here at Laurier. Note, the latter may be a harder alternative, but it will also serve to meet part of your Division C requirement.

3. Which degree should I takeĖthe BA or the BSc?

Answer: Most graduate schools (even Medical schools) look for an honours degree rather than requiring one degree over the other.† For example, Medical schools require a degree plus certain science courses, which can be done as electives in either degree.† Your best strategy is to research the types of schools/careers you want to find their requirements before you choose your degree.† You will likely see that most graduate schools will accept either degree, and as such, choose the degree you have confidence you will do well inĖif you compromise your GPA by choosing a degree you might not necessarily need, you risk your acceptance into graduate school anyway.†

4. Can I switch programs if I decide I donít like what Iím doing?

Answer: Yes, if you have the correct course requirements (see questions 1, 2, 8) and GPA.† During program selection time (see Registrar's Office website for exact dates) in March, you will be able to select the program you want on LORIS.† Then when final grades have been submitted and requirements are checked, the Registrar's Office will officially switch you.

5.† I am placed into General No Designation.

Answer:† If you were in psychology but were placed into the General No Designation degree due to unmet GPA requirements, you will not be able to take PS295, PS296 or 3rd year courses until you have met GPA requirements and have been re-admitted into the program.† You can take other 2nd year psychology courses to mirror the degree as much as possible until you are re-admitted.

6. I am placed into Honours Science.

Answer: If you were in Psychology and placed into the Honours Science program due to unmet Psychology Progression requirements you will not be able to take PS295, PS296 or 3rd year courses until you have met GPA requirements and have been re-admitted into the program.† You can take other 2nd year psychology courses to mirror the degree as much as possible until you are re-admitted.

7. What is a GPA and how do I calculate mine?


More useful grading information:

8. What grade do I need in my classes to make it to a GPA of 7?

Answer:† That depends on how many credits you're spacing the GPA of 7 over.† The

maximum credits in psychology you can have is 11.† So a GPA of 7 over 11 credits is 7 x 11 grade points = 77.† In other words, 77 grade points is your goal.† Then calculate how many grade points you have, which is your GPA (found on LORIS, or use the GPA calculator) X the number of credits you have.† For example, if you have a 6.15 GPA over 6.5 credits, you currently have a 39.97 grade points.† Subtract what you have from your goal:† 77 - 39.97 = 37.03.† In other words, you have to attain a 37.03 grade points over an additional 4.5 credits (11-6.5=4.5).† So you'd need a little over 4 grade points/course.

Laurier GPA Calculator click here

9. What is the difference between Comprehensive and Research Specialist?
Answer: Most students enter Psychology in the Comprehensive program (exceptions: Biology/Psychology, Computer Science/Psychology).† You will remain in this program for two years. In March of your second year (see the Registrarís Office website for information on Program Selection dates), you will indicate whether you want to remain in Comprehensive or change to Research Specialist.† Thus, in third year your courses will change to the Research Specialist requirements if youíve chosen that program.† With the Research Specialist degree you are will complete additional research courses and have the opportunity to do an honours thesis.† This degree provides you with the widest range of opportunities as it trains you in a wider skill set (logic, research, presentation skills) and allows the opportunity to do an honours thesis, which is required for graduate school in psychology.† The Comprehensive degree is sufficient for admittance into graduate schools that do not require an honours thesis (e.g., Social Work, Speech Pathology, Medical school, Law school etc.)

10.† What courses do I need to take for my degree?

Answer: We have created Printable Program outlines that you can use to keep tabs on what requirements you have met, and which you still need to complete.††

BA Comprehensive/ Research Specialist (this outline shows both, as you need the same requirements in the first two years, and then you choose between the two for years 3,4 ):

BSc Comprehensive/Research Specialist (this outline shows both, as you need the same requirements in the first two years, and then you choose between the two for years 3,4 ):

BSc Biology/Psychology:†

BSc Computer Science/Psychology:†

BSc Computer Science/Psychology & Cognitive Neuroscience Stream:

11. Help! Iím getting Loris Error Messages...?


12. What do I need to know about doing an Honours Thesis?


13. Do I have what I need to graduate? Am I on the right track?

Answer: Before making an appointment, go over your Printable Program outline to see if youíve met the requirements, and check the Degree Evaluation program on Loris.† It red flags the requirements you have not yet met.

14. What do I need to transfer from Laurier to another institution? How do I transfer from Psychology at Laurier to another department at Laurier.
Answer: This is a question for the institution to which you want to transfer.† You have to contact them. Similarly, you have to contact the department to which you want to transfer

15. How do I declare a Minor?

Answer: A minor is declared when you complete your Application to Graduate form:† You should research the requirements for your minor, located on that departmentís website.† Take the courses necessary, then, you declare the minor when you apply to graduate.

16. What should I do if I want to take courses outside of Laurier?

Answer: You need to find the course outline (not just the description, but the whole outline.† If itís not easily available online, contact the department or professor for a copy.† The previous yearís outline is sufficient if the current one is not available) and attach it to the Letter of Permission form to be submitted to the Registrarís office:

17. What if I want to take a course at University of Waterloo?


18. What do I need to get into graduate school?

Answer: That depends on the school.† (Go to the ďstudent linkĒ, then ďgraduate guideĒ) provides the requirements for every graduate school in psychology in Canada.† Search this document for programs you might be interested in, and their requirements, then, make sure you are getting those requirements while completing your program here. Other useful links:
Career Services (on campus) can also help with graduate school:

19. What do I need to know about the Graduate Record Examination?


Career Services can also help:

20. What can I do with a psychology degree?

Answer: Again, Career Services can help you narrow down your career paths, with resume writing etc.:

For Psychology career paths see:

Students - Please Note: Laurier Email Account is our official means of communication is with you. Students are expected to regularly check their Laurier email account for important notices from the university community. Students are also expected to send emails to official members of the university community from their Laurier email account in order to ensure delivery. Emails sent from non-Laurier accounts, such as hotmail, may be identified as spam and not delivered. Your co-operation is appreciated.