How to Register for Courses
Graduate students are required to register for the fall 2015, winter 2016 and spring 2016 terms. We recommend that you register for courses for all three semesters at this time (be mindful of the deadline date to avoid a late registration fee). Consult the online academic schedule on significant dates related to course registration including the final day to add or drop courses for a specific term.
Four things to know before you register
- Your registration in a course may be blocked if you are not eligible to register. This may occur because the course:
- is beyond the requirements for your chosen program,
- requires a prerequisite that you have not yet completed or
- requires departmental approval.
- Contact your program coordinator if you receive any registration errors.
- more courses than allowed,
- courses for which you have exclusions,
- courses for which you lack prerequisites or
- courses which are inappropriate due to any other university regulation, the university may remove you, even after classes have begun.
How To Register
|Go to http://telaris.wlu.ca||
Go to print version of these instructions (.pdf)
Logging in for the first time
Enter your user ID and PIN.
- User ID: your 9 digit Laurier ID number.
PIN number: The default PIN number is your date of birth–(MMDDYY).
When you enter LORIS for the first time, you will be asked to create a new PIN number. Your new PIN must be six numbers in length and cannot begin with zero (0). At this time, you will also be prompted to create a security question.
Forget your PIN?
Students who incorrectly enter their PIN three times are locked out of LORIS. If this happens, you must reset your PIN. It takes 24 hours for the PIN to be reset.
Adding and Dropping a Course
Adding a Course (Step by Step):
- From the Main Menu, click on "Student Services".
- From the Student Services Menu, Click on "Registration".
- You will use the Registration Menu to select an academic term for registration, to register for classes, to remove classes from your schedule and to print your class schedule. You must register for classes by academic term.
- Click on "Select Term".
- Click on the down arrow to display the list of available terms.
- Click on "Fall 2015".
- Click on "Submit".
- From the Registration Menu, click on "Add or Drop Classes".
- Click on "Class Search" at the bottom of the "Add or Drop Classes" screen.
- Use the arrow keys on the Subject field to highlight your course of study (eg, Business, Economics, English, Social Work, etc). Leave the remaining fields on this screen blank.
- Click on "Class Search" at the bottom of the screen.
- All courses (undergraduate, if available, and graduate) in your chosen subject area will be displayed. The courses are sorted by course number (column 4), starting with first-year undergraduate courses, if available, and ending with graduate courses.
- The relevant header definitions are as follows:
- Select: click in this box to indicate your desire to register in this course.
- CRN: "Course Registration Number" - do not confuse this number with the Course Number (below); the CRN number is only used by LORIS to track your registration.
- Subj: the subject code.
- Crse: the standard Course Number used in the Graduate Calendar; this list is sorted by this column.
- Sec: the section letter.
- Cmp: the campus designation; W = "Waterloo Campus" (including Social Work courses taught at the new St Jerome's Campus); T = "Toronto" (MBA Toronto program).
- Cred: the credit weight.
- Title: the name of the course.
- Days: the day(s) the course is taught.
- Time: the time the course is taught.
- Instructor: the individual who will teach the course, if applicable.
- Date: the start and end date for the course.
- Location: the building and room in which the course will be taught, if applicable.
- Click on the Select box next to each course you wish to register in.
- Go to the very bottom of the screen and click on "Register".
The courses you selected will now appear on the "Add or Drop Classes" screen under a section entitled "Current Schedule". Those courses in which you are allowed to register are listed first, sorted by course number.
Those courses for which you have been denied registration access (if applicable) will be listed next under a section entitled "Registration Add Errors".
If you are refused permission to register in a course, the course may be outside your course requirements, it may have a prerequisite which has not yet been completed, it may be a duplicate course of one in which you are already registered or the course may require departmental permission (eg, a major research paper or thesis course).
If you are refused permission to register in a specific course, consult your Graduate Co-ordinator.
Dropping a Course
To drop a course previously added to your "Current Schedule", click on the down arrow in the "Action" column next to the course you wish to drop. Highlight "Drop Course - Web" and then click on the "Submit Changes" button at the very bottom of the screen.
Continue to add or drop classes from this screen until you are satisfied with your schedule for the fall semester. When your fall schedule is complete, click on "RETURN TO MENU" at the top right of the screen. This will take you back to the Registration Menu.
Repeat these steps for the winter 2015 and spring 2015 semesters
Printing your schedule
You will not receive a copy of your schedule from the Registrar's Office. To print a schedule:
- Go to the Main Menu
- Click on Student Services - Registration - Student Detail Schedule - Select Term
- Click submit
- Your schedule for the selected term will be displayed, including the times and locations of your classes, the dates and the instructor's name.
- Print this schedule for your records. (Note: courses, room locations and times are subject to change; consult the staff person in your academic department prior to the start of classes in September for any changes.
Direct your questions about online registration to your academic department.