Recipe Corner: Apple Crumble Cake
Today I am happy to welcome Caitlin to the Writing Centre blog. She is generously sharing her recipe for a delicious Apple Crumble Cake. A lot of us at the Writing Centre have already tasted it and give our stamp of approval. Thanks for sharing this with our readers Caitlin.
Super Apple Crumble Cake*
This apple crumble cake is perfect for a chilly fall afternoon (or
-2 cups all-purpose flour
-2 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1cup white sugar
-1/2 cup vegetable oil
-2 tsp vanilla
-2 cups (about 3 medium) peeled and thinly-chopped apples (preferably McIntosh or Granny Smith)
-1/4 cup all-purpose crumble topping (see below)
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
3. Mix the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla for a minute until smooth. Add this to the flour mixture and stir until the dry ingredients are smoothly combined. Dump in the chopped apples and stir only until the apples are just incorporated.
4. Pour the batter into a well-greased 9x5-inch pan and sprinkle evenly with the crumb topping.
5. Bake for 60-65 minutes until the crumble topping is golden brown. If you can poke into it with a toothpick without batter coming out of the cake, then it’s done! (But let it cool completely before you eat it-we don’t want any apple cake disasters).
All-Purpose Crumble Topping
This crumble can top anything-breads, muffins, cakes-you name it!
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-1/2 cup cold butter
-1/2 cup light brown sugar
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl, cutting the butter in until it forms a crumbly mixture.
2. Place it on top of any dessert and bake it according to the dessert recipe.