Laboratory Fire Emergency Procedures
- Leave the building immediately.
- If possible, shut all doors to the lab to provide fire containment.
- Pull the fire alarm. Fire alarms are located at the top of every stairwell.
- Report to the Building Coordinator or other emergency responders to ensure that all relevant information is available to them.
- Seek medical attention if required.
If time permits,
- Call 9-911 to report fire.
- Call security at ext 3333 so that they can meet and guide the fire department to the correct location.
- Try to extinguish the fire if you are trained to do so and if you can extinguish the fire without putting your own safety or the safety of others at risk.
Operating a fire extinguisher:
Fire extinguishers in the labs are good for electrical, flammable liquid, and paper fires. The fire extinguishers are always located by one of the doors to the hallway. Portable extinguishers contain only enough material for 8 - 45 seconds, depending on their size. Do not attempt to extinguish a fire using a fire extinguisher unless you can do so safely. NEVER use water on electrical fires.
- Position yourself between the fire and the exit, so that you always
have a route out of the area.
- Pull the pin after breaking the plastic safety tie.
- Aim the extinguisher nozzle or hose at the base of the flame.
- Squeeze the trigger.
- Sweep. Using a sweeping motion, extinguish the fire.
If at any time the fire becomes uncontrollable [size of a basketball], activate the fire alarm and leave the building by the nearest safe emergency exit.
Any use of a fire extinguisher must be reported immediately to Physical Plant
at ext 6280, so the extinguisher can be recharged or replaced.