Steps to Planning an Event
Create Guest Lists and Invitations, Develop a Marketing Strategy
- Determine if your event is open to the public or by invitation only. If by invitation only, create a guest list. If open to the public, develop a list of individuals or groups you may want to market your event to. Other things to consider:
- Is the event free, or will guests be required to purchase a ticket?
- An RSVP deadline
- An appropriate time to mail external invitations (generally give 6-8 weeks prior to event)
- If a dignitary, government official or past Honorary Degree Recipient is attending the event contact Maebelle Knechtel-Bell, email@example.com, to inform the President. Also refer to the Visiting Dignitary Protocol Guidelines page further details.
- Determine if you need hard copy or electronic invitations, posters, web releases, etc. Contact Helen Exley, firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 2110, in the Communications, Public Affairs and Marketing department to request your print/media needs and to discuss marketing opportunities.