JN499: Professional Practicum
A formal placement, paid or unpaid, of a minimum of 120 hours with an organization or business related to journalism or media, as approved by the faculty supervisor. Students will be expected to assume duties under evaluation by a professional mentor and write reflective analyses about the practicum experience for evaluation by program faculty.
Expectations of Students
- Complete Proposal Form (Appendix A)
- Complete Directed Studies Form
- Complete WSIB form
- Complete and submit (to the faculty member) a weekly log of duties completed (Appendix D)
- Complete a final Self-Reflection (Appendix E) upon the completion of the practicum
- Complete a Reflective Report upon the completion of the practicum
Expectations of Practicum Supervisors
The practicum supervisor will play an important role in this process. The expectations are:
- Work with the student to determine a working plan
- Complete a weekly summary of duties (see Appendix B)
- Complete a final evaluation (see Appendix C)
- Focus on practical experiences that will support the journalistic development of the student
Applying to JN499
Students must complete Appendix A (found below) to express their interest in enrolling in this course. Please be advised that students are required to find their own placements and must be in consultation with the proposed supervisor prior to completing this form. The practicum supervisor is required to complete a small section of the proposal form. If you have any questions about your placement, please contact the Program Coordinator.
If you are interested in taking JN499 in the Fall term please submit your completed Proposal form no later than the end of July.
If you are interested in taking JN499 in the Winter term, please submit your completed Proposal form later than the end of November.
If you have any questions about JN499, please contact the program assistant via email, email@example.com or via telephone at 519-756-8228 x 5875.
|2013||Appendix A: Proposal||Document|
|2013||Appendix B: Supervisor Reporting||Document|
|2013||Appendix C: Final Supervisor Report||Document|
|2013||Appendix D: Student Reporting||Document|
|2013||Appendix E: Self-Reflection||Document|
|2012||JN 499 WSIB Form||Document|