Interactive Script Writing for Film, Theatre and Television
- Participant, Fall 2010"Leslie O'Dell is a fabulous instructor. Her feedback on my submissions is wonderfully thorough and supportive of the development of my work and, more generally, my skills as a playwright and scriptwriter. I will likely take the course again and get as much out of the third time through as I got out of the first two."
- Participant, Fall 2010"I found Leslie O'Dell's responses to be extremely helpful. She was very supportive and has a distinct ability to offer creative and appropriate criticism. The resources provided are very good."
- Participant, Fall 2010
This fully online course will introduce you to the craft of writing scripts for film, theatre and television.
When you enroll you will be provided with a password that unlocks the entrance to the first level of writing challenges. Every step along the way you will submit writing assignments for feedback. Your fee purchases a set number of feedback opportunities, and you set the pace for your submissions. Successful completion of each level opens the doorway to the next set of challenges; a password will be provided to successful students to unlock those challenges.
You are free to select from among a variety of pathways and approaches:
- you might choose to move quickly through the guided steps for an overview or,
- you might undertake a series of challenges designed to improve competence in a single facet of script writing
- you will have six months from your first login to complete the course
This course has been designed by and will be administered by Dr. Leslie O'Dell; feedback will be provided by Dr. O'Dell or by freelance professional writers under her supervision.
Please note: you will require a computer and Internet access to participate in this course as it is delivered completely online.
Start/End Dates: Fall 2014 (pending)
Time: Whenever is best for you!
Location: From the comfort of home, on the road, wherever you wish!
Fee: $135 (includes HST)
Instructor: Dr. Leslie O'Dell, Wilfrid Laurier University
For details on how to submit your registration, please refer to the registration form. Please note that registrations submitted by email will not be accepted. Receipts for credit card payments will be issued electronically unless otherwise requested. Phone 519.884.0710 x6036 or email Continuing Studies if you require additional information.
About the Instructor:
Leslie O'Dell is an associate professor of English and theatre at Wilfrid Laurier University, where she teaches acting, directing, play writing, and dramatic literature at the undergraduate and graduate levels and acting for singers for Laurier's Faculty of Music. She received her Honours BA in Drama from Queen's University and her MA and PhD from the Graduate Centre for the Study of Drama at the University of Toronto.
Leslie is a veteran text consultant at the Stratford Festival and has worked with such directors as Richard Monette, Marti Maraden, David William, Richard Rose, Bernard Hopkins, Robin Philips, Michael Langham, Brian Bedford, Douglas Campbell and Joe Dowling.
- notice of withdrawal must be made in writing to Continuing Studies in-person, by mail, or by email
- a full tuition refund will be issued when notice of withdrawal is received up to twoweeks prior to the workshop start date
- a full tuition refund, less a $99 administrative fee, will be issues when notice of withdrawal is received between two weeks and one day before the workshop start date
- after the start of the workshop, no refund will be issued
Please note that no refund of any sort will be given if the university is closed for any reason during your course.
Wilfrid Laurier University reserves the right to cancel a course in which there is insufficient enrollment. In the event of a cancellation, students will be informed and all fees will be refunded.