"The instructor was an excellent teacher. He made our course very interesting. I liked that we were able to have open dialogue during class. Great class."
- Participant, Winter 2013"Really enjoyed the course and the fact that one week would be in-class and the next week would be self study. It gave us the opportunity to interact with the Instructor when needed and also the time to do self-study at home. I took the Risk Management Principles and Practices course through Laurier as well and it was the same course set up which I find extremely beneficial. I would highly recommend this course to anyone."
- Participant, Fall 2012
Investigate the selection, implementation and monitoring of risk financing techniques which an organization can obtain funds to pay for any accidental losses which may strike it.
Subjects covered in this course include:
- introduction to risk financing
- estimating hazard risk
- self-insurance plans
- retrospective rating plans
- captive insurance
- contractual insurance
- transferring financial risk
- transferring hazard risk to the capital markets
- allocating costs of managing hazard risk
Successful completion of Risk Management Principles and Practices (ARM 54) or a fundamental knowledge of business management, employee benefits and general insurance (e.g., work experience in the insurance field) is suggested. Successful completion of Risk Assessment and Treatment (ARM 55) is also encouraged.
Start Date: Tuesdays, January 26 - April 19, 2016 | final exam details TBD
Time: 7 - 9:30 p.m.
Location: Laurier's Waterloo campus
Fee: $575 (plus textbooks; pricing available on registration form)
Required Textbooks: Risk Financing (ARM 56), Risk Financing Course Guide (ARM 56)
Instructor: Sasha Alexander, Associate Director: Risk and Insurance, University of Guelph
- IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING TEXTBOOKS -
Students registering after September 4 may not receive their textbooks before the start of classes. Please note that an additional textbook fee of $60 will be charged for late registrations, as per below.
Textbook fees for registrations received on or before Monday, January 4, 2016: $180 (HST included)
Textbook fees for registrations received after Monday, January 4, 2016: $240 (HST included)
This course will be delivered in a blended format. There will be a face-to-face session on the first scheduled session and the group will meet approximately every other week throughout the term, but there will not be a weekly class room component. There will be regularly scheduled activities online to supplement classroom activities in alternate weeks.
Withdrawal and Refund Policy
- notice of withdrawal must be made in writing to Continuing Studies in-person, by mail, or by email
- a full tuition refund, less 10 per cent, will be issued when notice of withdrawal is received up to two weeks prior to the start of the first session
- a full tuition refund, less 25 percent, will be issued when notice of withdrawal is received after two weeks prior to start of the first session and prior to the start of the second session
- after the second session, no refunds will be issued
Please note that no refund of any sort will be given if the university is closed for any reason during your course.
Wilfrid Laurier University reserves the right to cancel a course in which there is insufficient enrolment. In the event of a cancellation, students will be informed and all fees will be refunded.