Our current Novell network systems and GroupWise email have been Laurier's
primary platforms since 2003. Looking forward, these tools present several
challenges in providing the level
of service required by Laurier faculty and staff. We will therefore be migrating all staff and faculty to the Microsoft suite of solutions. This migration will include network drives, print and email (moving to Outlook/Exchange from GroupWise). Complete migration will take place between May 31 and June 1.
When are we switching to Microsoft/Outlook?
The switch will take place by the end of May 2014
• May 1 to May 23: joining workstations to the AD Domain, email Archiving.
• May 19 – 23: Pilot Exchange/Outlook (Pilot Group only)
• May 24 -25: Network Shares migration
• May 31 - June 1: Complete migration, including email.
What are the specific changes?
1. Replacing GroupWise email with Outlook/Exchange
Migration of email, calendars, address books, etc., email archiving.2. Joining all Laurier workstations to the Active Directory Domain
3. Changing User Authentication source from eDirectory/LDAP to Active Directory
• Login will change from a Novell login to a Microsoft login
• Implementing new User Account provisioning for Students, Faculty and Staff
• Configuring all applications to use Active Directory for authentication
• Implementing new tools for User Account management; introducing self-serve capabilities
4. Upgrading all legacy BlackBerrys to BES 10
5. Replacing Novell Shared Drives with Windows Shared Drives – all data will be moved (forklifting data)
6. Replacing Novell iPrint with Windows Printing
7. Replacing Netstorage and Filr with HTTP Commander to access network drives via the web
8. Upgrading our infrastructure; new servers and storage, added power to the data centre in Waterloo
Who is involved?
The switch to the Microsoft suite of solutions, including Outlook/Exchange email, will affect all faculty and staff.
ITS Technical Specialists will come to each workstation and join it to
the AD domain; ITS will complete the installs (Outlook Client, Windows
printing, File Shares) and uninstalls (Novell Client, NICI , iPrint
Client, ZENworks). The Service Desk will have the training and
processes ready to support the Laurier community during the transition,
the ITS Infrastructure Team will migrate the email and the
infrastructure and web teams will take care of the rest!
The Service Desk will have the training and processes ready to support the user community during the transition. For answers to Frequently Asked Questions, click here. Please contact the Service Desk at ext. 4357, or at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have about this process.