What is Video Conferencing?
ITS Employee Technical Support offers a dynamic video conferencing system to meet the needs of the Wilfrid Laurier community.
Video Conferencing is a powerful communication tool that enables multiple users to connect through simultaneous video and audio transmissions between two or more locations. In short, it helps to bring people at different sites together in a virtual conference room to communicate as if they were sitting in the same room together.
At Wilfrid Laurier University, we have a number of rooms (both classroom and meeting room style) equipped with high-definition video-conferencing technology. Click here for a list of Video-conferencing rooms.
We also utilize a software called Jabber (referred to as the Jabber client) to enable participants to join video-conferences from anywhere using their laptop or desktop computer. See below for instructions on how to obtain and use the Jabber client.
Click here to view an Overview Diagram depicting how the video-conferencing system at WLU works.
Video Conferencing can be used for:
- Face-to-face inter-campus meetings (using the Jabber client)
- Job interviews
- Distance learning
- On the job training
- Participating in international events
- Connecting with colleagues, partners and customers worldwide in the classroom.
This system also has the ability to integragte interactive tools such as shared desktops, etc. This video conferencing tool will function both internally and externally to Wilfrid Laurier University’s network.
Why consider it?
- Enhanced business relationships: Improve the flow of information and quality of interaction
- Faster decision making: Increase workforce collaboration quickly and effectively
- Increased employee productivity: Increase employee availability and productivity by reducing travel time
- Reduced travel costs: Connect more participants without the expenses of travel
- Environmental Sustainability: Video conferencing is a green alternative to travelling. Read more here.
Who can use it?
Staff and Faculty members of Wilfrid Laurier University – on any campus or even off-campus!
To get started:
1. Download the Jabber client for PC's here:
Download the Jabber client for MAC's here.
Learn more about video conferencing below:
If you require an external Jabber Account for a vendor, professor, or student please use the link below:
For more information please contact the Employee Service Desk from the hours of 8:00 am – 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. They can be reached at 519-884-0710 x4357, or by clicking here.