Laurier Brantford Research and Academic Centre - Knowledge Infrastructure Program
Latest Photo Galleries:
- Construction of Research and Academic Centre East - January 13, 2011
- Research and Academic Centre West Grand Opening - January 21, 2011
- Visit by Ontario Minister of Infrastructure Hon. Bob Chiarelli and Brant MPP Dave Levac - February 15, 2011
- Construction of Research and Academic Centre East - April 6, 2011
- Construction of Research and Academic Centre East - July 7, 2011
- Construction of Research and Academic Centre East - July 25, 2011
Wilfrid Laurier University received $26 million in federal and provincial funding towards the state-of-the-art Research and Academic Centre on Laurier’s Brantford campus. The federal contribution was part of the Government of Canada’s Knowledge Infrastructure Program. The provincial contribution was part of a commitment by the Government of Ontario in its 2009 budget to invest in post-secondary institutions across the province.
The West Wing of the Research and Academic Centre opened in September 2010, and the East Wing was completed in July 2011. The facility will help increase enrolment and research capability at Laurier Brantford, enabling the campus to grow to 4,500 students.
In March of 2013, it was announced that the Research and Academic Centre was has been certified as LEED ® Silver, receiving all 35 points that were targeted. Sustainable features of the building include: low-flow water fixtures; high-efficiency glass; no-irrigation vegetation; natural daylighting with super energy efficient light fixtures; bike storage; elimination of refrigerant coolant HCFC's; regional and recycled materials; reduced parking & hard surfaces; solar reflecting roof; and construction waste diversion.
For more information about the government funding programs and LEED Cerfication, visit:
Federal Knowledge Infrastructure Program
Provincial Infrastructure Program