Communities of Practice
The Centre for Teaching Innovation and Excellence (CTIE) supports a variety of communities of practice (CoPs) at Laurier. These CoPs form and take shape in response to the interests and needs expressed by faculty and instructional staff. Often they are faculty led and evolve from Centre sponsored events or initiatives where there is a desire to continue the conversation. Duration of a given CoP varies, reflecting the rhythms of the semester and the met needs of the group.
Laurier CoPs provide a forum for educators from multiple disciplines and academic support units to come together and share scholarly initiatives, best practices, lessons learned, instructional concerns, and student experiences (and more). The format can range from the formal to informal (e.g., discussion and presentation based; project based; reading group) with broad and/or structured goals and objectives.
CoPs offer a space to create community, and deepen one’s knowledge and understanding of teaching and learning in higher education.
Members of the Laurier community are invited to take part in any of the active CoPs supported by CTIE. For more information or to inquire about (re)initiating a CoP, contact the Program and Events Coordinator at email@example.com.
• SCAFFOLD (Student-Centred, Active, Flexible, Face-to-Face and Online Learning Discussions)
• Tuesday, February 9 | 9:30 – 10:45 am | Waterloo | R270 (register)
• Monday, February 29 | 9:30 – 10:45 am | Waterloo | R270 (register)
• Tuesday, March 22 | 9:30 – 10:45 am | Waterloo | R270 (register)
• Monday, April 18 | 9:30 – 10:45 am | Waterloo | R270 (register)
• Community Service-Learning
Both active CoPs are supported on MyLS, with resources, notes and discussions are shared with members.
- Writing Circle
- Teaching Large Classes and first Year Students
- Teaching and Technology
- Brantford Teaching and Learning
- Community Service Learning (contact Gail Roth, CSL Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Controversy in the Classroom (contact Pat Rogers, AVP: Teaching and Learning, email@example.com)