Convocation Checklist for Graduates
The Laurier community gathers every June and October to celebrate the awarding of degrees at Convocation. Use this Convocation Checklist to help you complete the journey and enjoy your day to the fullest.
You're ready to graduate but have you checked with your academic advisor to ensure that you're meeting graduation requirements?
You can also find information regarding your program requirements in the Academic Calendars.
Now that you know you're on track you've got to complete an application to graduate through LORIS under the Student Services Tab.
You are required to
apply to graduate regardless of whether you intend to participate in the
scheduled ceremony events.
A confirmation e-mail will be sent to you from Enrolment Services starting in mid-February for Spring Convocation and August for Fall Convocation.
||October 2nd - April 15th||April 16th - October 1st|
January 15th (Convocation Fee: $23.15)
August 1st (Convocation Fee: $23.15)
Late Application Deadline
January 16th – April 15th (Convocation Fee: $81.10)
August 2nd – October 1st (Convocation Fee: $81.10)
No Applications are accepted after the final deadline
Have questions regarding your application to graduate? Contact:
Sarah Wong for Faculties of Education, Human & Social Sciences, Liberal Arts, Music, Science, and SBE
Khaleel Hosein for Faculty of Arts and Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
You're excited and we're excited for you! Now you're going to want to check the status of your application.
The best way to confirm the date and time of this pretty special occaison is through LORIS. You'll be able to find it under Unofficial Record of Course Work.
As dates and times are subject to change, any changes will be updated on LORIS. For a complete list of ceremony times please click here.
We want you to be able to enjoy your ceremony so if you have any accessibility concerns or require accommodations please contact us via email@example.com or 519.884.0710 ext. 3139.
For your convenience, Undergraduate and Master’s degree candidates, who have been cleared to graduate, will be able to rent their required Academic Regalia online prior to their convocation date. The rental fee is $25.
PhD and DMin Candidates must reserve their Academic Regalia with the Bookstore six weeks prior to graduation. The rental fee is $115.
Prior to your ceremony, an email will be sent to your Laurier email account with a link to the ticketing and rental website, along with the cut-off date for online payment. If you haven't pre-paid online your rental fee of $25 rental must be brought with you on the day of your ceremony.
For more information regarding gown rentals please visit the Bookstore’s website.
Guests do not require tickets to attend the fall ceremonies.
Doors will open 1 hour prior to the ceremony at which time your guests are invited to select their seats.
We want your guests to enjoy your ceremony and are here to help you make it wonderful for them.
We can assist with making accessibility arrangements for seating and parking. Please give us at least 48 hours notice so that we can ensure that their needs are met.
The City of Waterloo has some great hotels for your out of town guest to enjoy.
If your international guests require a visa to enter Canada we've got information to guide you through the process.
If you are an international student and have guests from out of the country attending your ceremony please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with the country your guests are arriving from.
Has a faculty member inspired you or had a wonderful impact on your University career? Invite them to your ceremony using our personalized e-vite.
Is there a special someone who helped you get to graduation day? Tell them how much you appreciate their support by making a Class of 2015 Gift
- your donation will support Laurier's Student Emergency Bursary Fund.
Your message of thanks will appear on the life feed at Convocation for
your parents, friends and professors to see, prior to your convocation
ceremony. Visit www.wlu.ca/classgiving for more details.
The print version of the Convocation program available at the ceremony will only include the names of students who have been cleared to graduate approximately 3 weeks prior to the week of Convocation.
Any student who was cleared to graduate after the program has been printed will have their name added to the digital copy approximately 3 weeks following the Convocation ceremonies.
A digital copy of the Convocation program will be available here 1 week prior to the Convocation ceremonies.
All students are required to apply to graduate regardless of whether you intend to participate in the scheduled ceremony.
When you apply to graduate you can select whether you are attending the ceremony or not. You will be asked to provide an address and telephone number for mailing your degree in the application.
Degrees/diplomas will be mailed approximately 2 weeks following Convocation to the address provided on your application.
If you need to make a change to your selection for ceremony attendance contact:
Sarah Wong for Faculties of Education, Human & Social Sciences, Liberal Arts, Music, Science, and SBEKhaleel Hosein for Faculty of Arts and Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
Today's the day! Plan to arrive 1.5 hours in advance of the ceremony to:
- Your first step is to collect your participation card in the Hauser Haus on the second floor
- Once you collect your participation card, please spell your name phonetically on the card. Do not completely cross out the correct spelling of your name rather draw a single line through it.
- If you have a hold on your account your participation card will not be available
- You've got that very important card, now it's time to get dressed. Rent or collect your gown and hood in the Hauser Haus on the second floor
- Undergraduate and Master’s degree candidates do not require pre-booking. If you have pre-booked your gown and hood online please bring a copy of your receipt with you. If you have not pre-booked your regalia, you must have the $25 rental fee with you.
- PhD and DMin Candidates must reserve their Academic Regalia with the bookstore six weeks prior to graduation. The Rental Fee is $115.
- Your gown must be returned the same day as your ceremony.
- Once you've got your card and gown your next step is to join the line up for the procession in the Skater's Lobby
- The Marshal will give line up instructions based on the number found on your participation card
- Don't bring personal items with you to the procession
- At the ceremony:
- A photographer from Grad Images will be taking on-stage photos of all graduates. Proofs will be viewable at https://www.gradimages.com. You will receive an e-mail when the proofs have been posted.
- Following the ceremony:
- Return your gown and hood in the Hauser Haus
- Collect your class composite if you have had your photograph taken by LifeTouch Photographers and have paid your sitting fee.
- Join your classmates at the faculty receptions will be hosted on campus following each ceremony. Family and friends are encouraged to attend the celebratory receptions.
- Arriving at the ceremony:
- Guest parking is available at the Complex and across the street in the Diamond Parking Lot.
- Doors will open an hour prior to the ceremony’s start time for guests to select their seats.
- Guests for whom accessible seating has been arranged are asked to identify themselves to volunteers to be directed to their seats
- Presents for your new graduate:
- Giftware, grad rings and Laurier clothing can be purchased through the Bookstore. Flowers, grad rings and other memorabilia will be available for purchase at the facility.
- Degree frames may be pre-ordered or purchased on the day of Convocation. Proceeds on frames Purchased day-of help to support student programming and event. During and after the ceremonies volunteers from the Student Alumni Association will be present to offer complimentary degree framing on site. Please direct any questions to email@example.com
- Photos of your new graduate:
- A photographer from Grad Images will be taking on-stage photos of all graduates. Proofs will be viewable at https://www.gradimages.com . Grads will receive an e-mail when the proofs have been posted.
- There will be a designated area for family and friends to take photos.
- Following the ceremony:
- Faculty receptions will be hosted on campus following each ceremony. Graduates, family and friends are all encouraged to attend the celebratory receptions.
Your Laurier experience doesn't end with graduation. Laurier offers many services to its graduates! The following groups are here to help as you enter this new stage in your life:
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumni Association (WLUAA) - After you graduate you automatically become a member! Visit the website to find out about all the advantages to being a Laurier Alumnus/Alumna.
The Career Centre - Visit this website to learn more about Laurier's Career Development Centre which can help you plan for life after university. The Career Centre exists to ensure that career development is an integral part of your Laurier experience and works with students and alumni of every discipline. As a Laurier graduate, you have life-long access to the programs and services offered at the Career Centre. As a new graduate, you may be interested in our Alumni Employment Service and Alumni Sharing Knowledge programs.
Continuing Studies - Visit this site to find out about all of the programs designed for you to continue your learning here at Laurier.
Duplicate Degree/Diploma:In order to request a duplicate degree for an upcoming ceremony or from a previous one, you may print the Duplicate Degree Request Form using Adobe Acrobat and submit it in to Enrolment Services with payment.