Visiting Professor: New Procedures 2016
Visiting Professors Process: Applies to anyone visiting from outside of Canada
1. Visiting Professor’s CV
2. A letter of support from the department Chair. The letter should include the following details
• Name of the visiting professor
• Faculty member who is hosting the visit
• Start & end date of the visit
• Description of the project/collaboration
• Means of financial support: research funds, space & facilities supplied by the Department
3. An invitation letter from the Dean that includes details about work permits, medical insurance coverage from the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP), and other information.
Copies of the invitation letter are sent to:
• Faculty member who is hosting the visiting professor
• Chair of the Department
• Administrative Assistant of the Department
• Faculty Relations
• Special Constable Service
4. Work Permit Application Number, required by Immigration Canada. There is a $230 fee, paid by the hosting professor, to obtain a work permit application number.
Kendra Young in Faculty Relations handles this fee transaction. We need to supply her with a signed copy of the Dean’s invitation letter, along with these details about the visiting professor:
• Date of Birth
• Country of Birth
• Country of Residence
• Passport Number
5. The invitation letter, plus the work permit application number, is presented by the visitor at the Canadian border to obtain a work permit.