Headlines (Campus Updates)
Communications, Public Affairs & Marketing
Laurier honours Employee Achievement Award winners and long-serving employees
Friends, family and colleagues filled the Maureen Forrester Recital Hall Sept. 24 as Laurier recognized the winners of the inaugural Employee Achievement Awards, a new award program that celebrates employees for their contributions toward the achievement of Laurier’s mission and vision.
The awards are based on Laurier’s five Employee Success Factors, which were introduced in September 2010. The factors aim to identify the positive attitudes, behaviours and work styles that align most closely to Laurier’s mission, vision and values.
“The Employee Success Factors serve as the blueprint, or guide, for all of our employees,” said Max Blouw, Laurier’s president and vice-chancellor. “Today, it is our pleasure to celebrate those who exemplify the highest levels of talent and success and advance the important work of our university.”
Students, staff and faculty can nominate colleagues who exemplify one or all of the Employee Success factors. Pam Cant, acting assistant vice-president of Human Resources at Laurier, was chair of the awards committee. She said the decision process was not an easy one.
“We were truly humbled by the achievements and contributions of all of those who were nominated and it really brought to the light the number of talented and devoted individuals and teams here at Laurier,” said Cant. “Selecting just a few individuals to highlight that today reinforces the many strong contributors we look forward to recognizing in the years to come.”
In addition to the employee awards, Laurier will continue to recognize long-term service employees for 15, 25, 35 and 40 years.
“As a community we have deeply benefitted from the contributions of all of these individuals and it is a pleasure to take this moment to say thank you for all the work you have done,” said Cant.
The Employee Achievement Award winners include:
• Individual Achievement: Steve Farlow, Executive Director, Schlegel Centre for Entrepreneurship
• Team Achievement: Office of Research Services
Multi-Campus Champion Award
• Holly Cox, Director, Recruitment & Admissions
Success Factor Award Winners
Collaborates to promote team and organizational success
• Adam Lawrence, Manager, Diversity and Equity Office
• Deanne Piticco, Alumni Relations Officer, Alumni Relations and Annual Giving
Seeks opportunities for continuous improvement
• Melodee Martinuk, Manager, Access and Transition Services
• Michael Welk, Project Coordinator, Renovation and Construction
Values Relationships and Community
• Cec Joyal, Development Officer, Development
• Janice Vilaca, Executive Assistant, Office of the Principal/Vice-President, Brantford
Supports a Culture of Service
• Deb Bergen, Admissions Officer, Recruitment and Admissions
• Sheldon Pereira, Manager, Residence Life
Models Leadership and Accountability
• Bridget McMahon, Director, Alumni Relations and Annual Giving
• Christie Schellenberger, Manager, International Recruitment and Admissions
To learn more about the Employee Achievement Awards, visit: wlu.ca/achievementawards.