OSAP is changing radically this year! The process of picking up and signing loan documents before each semester is coming to an end. Students will now receive their funding electronically to their bank account with the completion of their OSAP application and the submission of the Master Student Financial Aid Agreement.
Steps you need to take if you plan to apply for OSAP:
1. Apply now! Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications that are processed by the Student Awards Office, we can not guarantee that funding will be available to students in early September if you apply after July 20th, 2012. The OSAP web site is located at: https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal
2. If you are using OSAP to fund the majority of your university studies, it is in your best interest to allow the Student Awards Office to deduct your fees from your OSAP loans thereby avoiding interest and/or late charges. Therefore, on your OSAP application, do not opt out of the question that will have your fees automatically sent to Laurier. If you choose not to have your fees automatically sent to Laurier, you will be required to pay any outstanding fall and winter semester fees by the due date specified by the Business Office on your invoices.
3. For students how have already submitted their OSAP application and who did opt out of the automatic transfer of funds, email the Student Awards Office at firstname.lastname@example.org from your “mylaurier” email account and we will reinstate the automatic transfer function. Your email must arrive in the Student Awards Office by August 20th, 2012 in order for our office to make this change on your behalf.
4. Mail your signature pages and other supporting documentation (if required) to the Student Awards Office (address listed on the signature pages). We can not process your OSAP request until we have received all of the required documentation for your application.
5. Take your MSFAA (Master Student Financial Aid Agreement) to a designated postal outlet (a list of participating Canada Post Outlets can be found at: http://www.canlearn.ca/eng/onlinetools/canadapost/postal_outlet.shtml. You will be required to confirm you identity with the representative from Canada Post. Bring your Social Insurance Card (Canada Post will not accept verbal confirmation of your Social Insurance Number) and valid government issued photo ID (i.e. driver’s license, photo health card or Canadian passport) with you when you bring in your MSFAA.
Laurier offers numerous scholarship opportunities specific to first year students. These opportunities, which vary in value, are available through the generous support of Donors and Laurier Alumni who recognize the financial burden placed on students who are pursuing a post secondary education. Information about all of the opportunities available to students may be accessed through the Student Awards web site located at: www.wlu.ca/studentawards; utilizing the database search engine to identify all opportunities that pertain to your area of study. The deadline date for submission of information is Friday July 27th, 2012 at 4:30 pm.
Donor Supported Bursaries:
Laurier also offers numerous donor supported bursaries for students who can demonstrate financial need. This application is available through the LORIS portal until August 17th, 2012 at 11:59 pm. Students are encouraged to read through all of the required information prior to starting the application so that all documentation will be on hand prior to beginning the application process. Noted that once the application has been submitted, students are unable to make changes to their information and therefore accuracy is important.
We look forward to welcoming you to campus in September,
The Student Awards Office Team