Dr. Dawn Guthrie
Professor, Kinesiology & Physical Education and Health Sciences
Contact InformationEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 519-884-0710 ext.2590 | lab 519-884-0710 ext.3935
Office Location: Bricker Academic Building, Room BA516
Office Hours: Tuesday/Thursdays 9:30-11:00 am or by appointment
BSc (Waterloo), MSc (Toronto), PhD (Waterloo)
My research mainly focuses on understanding the needs and abilities of older adults with disabilities, and their caregivers, including individuals receiving home care services, palliative care and adults with sensory impairments. My research typically involves analysis of large datasets to explore how individuals are functioning in their daily lives, where they are experiencing impairments and difficulties, their use of the health care system and methods to evaluate the care received. I also use these datasets to create computerized outputs to assist health professionals, and decision-makers, when determining the needs of individuals, and their caregivers, and also to evaluate the quality of health care being provided.
Papers in Refereed Journals
1. Fisher K, Seow H, Declercq A, Freeman S, Cohen J, Guthrie DM. Patient characteristics associated with prognostic awareness: A study on a Canadian palliative care population using the interRAI Palliative Care instrument. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 2015;49:716-725.
2. Fernandes S, Guthrie DM. A comparison between end-of-life home care clients with cancer and heart failure in Ontario. Home Health Care Services Quarterly 2015;34:14-29.
3. Fisher K, Seow H, Brazil K, Frise Smith T, Guthrie DM. Dimensionality, reliability and validity of the interRAI Depression Rating Scale in a Canadian palliative care population. Social Indicators Research 2015; 122:297-314. doi:10.1007/s11205-014-0685-8
4. Guthrie DM, Pitman R, Fletcher PC, Hirdes JP, Stolee P, Poss JW, Papaioannou A, Berg K, Janzen Ezekiel H. Data sharing between home care professionals: A feasibility study using the RAI Home Care instrument. BMC Geriatrics 2014, 14:81.
5. Fisher K, Seow H, Brazil K, Freeman S, Smith T, Guthrie DM. Prevalence and predictors of depression in a Canadian palliative home care population: A cross-sectional study. BMC Palliative Care 2014;13:10.
6. Mofina AM, Guthrie DM. A comparison of home care quality indicator rates in two Canadian provinces. BMC Health Services Research 2014;14:37.
7. Fletcher PC, Guthrie DM. The lived experiences of individuals with acquired deafblindness: Challenges and the future. International Journal of Disability, Community and Rehabilitation 2013; 12(1).
8. Guthrie DM, Poss JW. Development of a case-mix funding system for adults with combined vision and hearing loss. BMC Health Services Research 2013; 13:137.
Recent Conference Presentations
1. Guthrie DM, Declercq A, Finne-Soveri H, Fries BE, Hirdes JP. A multi-country comparison of older adults in home care and long-term care with dual sensory impairment (DSI). Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Canadian Association on Gerontology, Calgary, AB. Oct. 23-25, 2015.
2. Fernandes S, Davidson J, Guthrie DM. Caregiver distress, cancer, and cognitive impairment influence the risk of loneliness in seriously-ill home care clients. Poster to be presented at the annual meeting of the Canadian Association on Gerontology, Calgary, AB. Oct. 23-25, 2015.
3. Davidson J, Guthrie DM. Socially active until the very end: The relationship between social functioning and pain for those with end-stage disease. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Canadian Association on Gerontology, Niagara Falls, ON. Oct. 16-18, 2014.
4. Fernandes S, Guthrie DM. A comparison between end-of-life home care clients with cancer and heart failure. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Canadian Association on Gerontology, Niagara Falls, ON. Oct. 16-18, 2014.
5. Davidson J, Guthrie DM. The relationship between disruptive pain and social functioning in terminally-ill home care clients. Poster presented at the Waterloo-Wellington Clinical Research and Quality Improvement Symposium, Kitchener, ON. June 18, 2014.
6. Fernandes S, Guthrie DM. A comparison between end-of-life home care clients with cancer and heart failure. Poster presented at the National Institute for the Care of the Elderly (NICE) annual knowledge exchange meeting, Toronto, ON. May 24, 2014.