Modules 2 - 7: Certificate in Mental Health Issues in the Classroom
Completion of Module 1 is mandatory for all participants who wish to take Modules 2 - 7 and must be completed prior to enrolling in subsequent modules. Modules 2 - 7 can be taken in any order and participants can choose any or all of the modules of interest to them.
Format: Blended (online and in-class component)
Duration: Six hours of online study | Six hours of in-class learning (e.g., all day Saturday or two week nights)
Fee: $150 each
Location: Laurier's Waterloo campus and Laurier's Milton classroom
Content Contact: Carolyn FitzGerald
The online portion will be available any time to participants who have registered through Continuing Studies.
The in-class sessions will focus on the practical application of information offered in the online portion of the module. Participants can anticipate extensive consideration of scenarios, case studies, sharing of experience from their practice and collaboration.
Modules 2 - 7 will be limited to 30 students per class.
Module 2: Depression and Other Mood Disorders | February 2015 | MILTON
- February 2015 - Laurier's Milton Classroom Space
- Online access opens January 14
- In-class session scheduled for February 10 + 11
- Deadline to register is February 4
Module 3: Anxiety Disorders: Moving Beyond Helping Students Cope with Everyday Stress | January 2015
- January 2015 - Laurier's Waterloo Campus
- Online access opens January 5
- In-class session scheduled for January 31
- Deadline to register is January 16
Module 4: Self-harm and Suicidality: Key Issues in Reducing Risk and Preventing Harm | March 2015 | includes safeTALK training
- March 2015 - Laurier's Waterloo Campus
- Online access opens March 2
- In-class session scheduled for March 28
- Deadline to register is March 13
Module 5: Body Image and Eating Disorders: When the Mirror Talks Back | Dates T.B.D.
Module 6: Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders and Substance Use and Dependence: The Impact of Addictions on Learning | February 2015
- February 2015 - Laurier's Waterloo Campus
- Online access opens February 2
- In-class session scheduled for February 28
- Deadline to register is February 13
Module 7: Disruptive Behaviour Disorders and Psychotic Disorders: When Challenged Students Challenge You | April 2015
- April 2015 - Laurier's Waterloo Campus
- Online access opens April 6
- In-class session scheduled for May 2
- Deadline to register is April 17
Withdrawal and Refund Policy
- notice of withdrawal must be made in writing to Continuing Studies in-person, by mail, or by email
- a full tuition refund, less 20 per cent, will be issued when notice of withdrawal is received up to two weeks prior to the start of the first session
- after this point, no refunds will be issued
Please note that no refund of any sort will be given if the university is closed for any reason during your course.
Wilfrid Laurier University reserves the right to cancel a course in which there is insufficient enrollment. In the event of a cancellation, students will be informed and all fees will be refunded.