Risk Management Principles and Practices
- Participant, Fall 2012"The blended format is excellent for professionals who are employed. Thorough class outlines were provided. Good mixture of text, study book, and lecture notes. Prompt and effective feedback through MyLearningSpace."
- Participant, Fall 2012"Steve Scullion is a great and knowledgeable instructor. He kept the class engaged at all times."
- Participant, Fall 2012
This course is intended to familiarize the student with the basic concepts and processes of risk management in a Canadian environment. This is the first of three courses required to obtain the Canadian Risk Management Certificate.
Subjects covered in this course include:
- risk management concept and objectives
- risk management in an organization and its effect on profits
- risk management techniques
- risk identification and analysis
- property risks
- income risks
- liability risks - traditional, industrial, consumer, environmental
- employee (personnel) risks
- probability techniques in risk management
- risk management decision making and capital budgeting methods
Course Information - Winter 2015 Details Coming Soon
Start/End Date: TBD | final exam during last class
Time: 7 - 9:50 p.m.
Location: Laurier's Waterloo campus
Fee: $545 (plus textbooks; pricing available on registration form)
Required Textbooks: Risk Management Principles and Practices (ARM 54), Risk Management Principles and Practices Course Guide (ARM 54)
- IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING TEXTBOOKS -
Students registering from January 5 - 23, 2015 may not receive their textbooks before the start of classes. Please note that beginning January 5, 2015 an additional textbook fee will be charged for late registrations.
This course will be delivered in a blended format. There will be a face-to-face session on the first scheduled session and the group will meet approximately every other week throughout the term, but there will not be a weekly class room component. There will be regularly scheduled activities online to supplement classroom activities in alternate weeks.
About the Instructor
Steve Scullion is a 28-year veteran of insurance claims handling and instruction. His claims experience has run the gamut from simple telephone claims to complex liability and property losses, with a few stints as a catastrophe adjuster with national and international duty thrown into the mix.
As an educator, Steve is a cited contributor to the three claims courses in the Insurance Institute of Canada's Chartered Insurance Professional designation curriculum and has developed day long seminars regarding liability, insurance fraud and risk management. He has also earned a post graduate diploma in adult education from St. Francis Xavier University.
Steve has earned several other post graduate diplomas and designations in claims handling techniques, including being one of only 8 insurance adjusters in Canada to have passed the challenging examinations and earning his "Fellow Chartered Loss Adjuster" designation through the Canadian Independent Adjusting Association.
Steve is currently Senior Adjuster and Manager at Granite Claims Solutions' Kitchener/Waterloo Branch.
Withdrawal and Refund Policy
- notice of withdrawal must be made in writing to Continuing Studies in-person, by mail, or by email
a full tuition refund, less 10 per cent, will be issued when notice of withdrawal is received up to two weeks prior to the start of the first session
- a full tuition refund, less 25 percent, will be issued when notice of withdrawal is received after two weeks prior to start of the first session and prior to the start of the second session
- after the second session, no refunds will be issued
Wilfrid Laurier University reserves the right to cancel a course in which there is insufficient enrollment. In the event of a cancellation, students will be informed and all fees will be refunded.