2012 Commuter Challenge - It's Your Move!
After ten successful years, Laurier will once again participate in the national Commuter Challenge.
This is a friendly competition between communities across the country
that encourages individuals to use active and sustainable alternatives
to driving a vehicle alone. By taking part in this challenge we can
demonstrate Laurier's commitment to the environment and sustainable
The Commuter Challenge takes place from Sunday, June 3 to Saturday, June 9.
Wednesday June 6, 2012 at noon
- The annual Laurier Hawk Walk from the Fred Nichols Quad to Waterloo Park and back. We will meet at noon in the concourse. The walk will take approximately 20 minutes. This counts towards your participation in the Commuter Challenge!
- Both the Region of Waterloo and Laurier's Sustainability Office will be in the Concourse to talk about sustainable transportation choices and what Laurier is doing to reduce the it's environmental footprint. This is a great opportunity to find out about the upcoming LRT or how to obtain a discounted Grand River Transit Corporate Bus Pass.
- After the walk, join us for some delicious Ice Cream!
Monday June 4 - Friday June 8, 2012
- Laurier Faculty and Staff who use alternative methods of transportation to get to work during the Commuter Challenge are able to use the shower and change room facilities in the Athletic Complex by showing their WLU One Card to the attendant. Note: You must bring your own towel.
Region of Waterloo Events
Monday June 4, 2012
Kick-off event with Hans Moor; To kick off Challenge week, The Region of Waterloo will be having a keynote speaker share his stories from the incredibly successful cycling infrastructure in the Netherlands.
Hans Moor is the President of the Citizens for Safe Cycling in Ottawa, an avid cyclist, and advisor to the Canadian Automobile Association and Members of Parliament.
Tuesday June 5, 2012
- 2 for 1 Transit Tuesday:You and a co-worker,
friend, or family member can ride Grand River Transit for one paid fare
when you board a bus on Tuesday, June 1, Clean Air Day! A paid fare
includes cash, ticket, monthly pass, day pass, school term & college
pass, U-Pass, or a corporate pass.If you and a friend pair up to take
transit, don't forget this counts towards both of your participation in
By being part of the Commuter Challenge, you can
demonstrate Laurier's commitment to the environment. As a participant,
you will be eligible to win great prizes sponsored by The Region of Waterloo and businesses within our community. This year the grand prize is a trip for 2 to Montreal sponsored by Via Rail and Delta Hotels.
As Laurier looks to reduce it's environmental footprint, there couldn't be a better time to demonstrate that Laurier is a leader in promoting sustainable transportation and resources as we move forward towards the future. We encourage you to leave your vehicles at home and come join us in taking the 2012 Commuter Challenge from June 3 to June 9, 2012!
To register as a member of the Wilfrid Laurier University workplace, register here.
After registration you will need to log your daily commute online during Commuter Challenge Week.
If you require assistance logging your commutes please do not hesitate to contact our office at
email@example.com or ext. 3099.