Site Accessibility Statement
Department Teaching & Learning Objectives
WE AIM TO:
- Foster and develop the study of languages, literatures and cultures in an environment which integrates research and teaching;
- Develop a thorough knowledge and application of the target language reaching a high level of achievement both written and spoken upon students’ graduation;
- Help students form critical thinking skills while promoting intellectual curiousity and independent study;
- Encourage and promote an appreciation of the specific subject and its study in an atmosphere conducive to the pursuit of scholarship and to develop further opportunities for inter-departmental, inter-institutional and international links;
- Promote a teaching and learning environment where the exchange of ideas is reciprocal and based on respect and understanding;
- Foster a creative environment where students can explore the various approaches to fulfill the goals set up in each learning experience;
- Develop students’ transferable skills with a view to the future;
- Promote the possibility to study abroad in the third or fourth year in order to enhance the exposure to the target language and culture.
AFTER FOUR YEARS IN OUR DEPARTMENT, A STUDENT WILL HAVE:
- A good understanding of the languages and cultures studied at Laurier;
- A high proficiency in both written and oral skills in the target languages;
- Excellent critical thinking skills to pursue their studies or use in their future careers;
- Had the opportunity to study abroad to refine their language skills and appreciate the culture of the studied languages.