Service to community
Service external to the university
Contributions to Profession:
Member IEEE, Member Professional Engineering of Ontario (PEO) July 2006
Member in the following program committees:
Member in the AICCSA-08 Pattern Recognition and Image Processing Technical Program Committee April 2008 and reviewing 5 papers.
Member in ICIAR international conference on Image analysis and Recognition reviewing more than 40 papers: ICIAR2005, ICIAR2006, ICIAR2007 Montreal (and section chair), ICIAR2008 Portugal (and section chair), ICIAR2009, ICIAR2010 and ICIAR2011.
Referee (Journal Papers):
- Reviewer for a paper in pattern recognition letters May 2011.
- Reviewer for a paper in Multimedia Systems Journal during 2007-08.
- Reviewer for a paper in pattern recognition letters July 2006 and Jan 2007.
- Reviewer for a paper in the IEEE signal processing letters Journal Nov 2006.
- Reviewer for a paper in the BioMedical Engineering Journal Nov 2006.
- Reviewer for a paper in the pattern recognition letter Journal March 07, Jan 07, and Oct 06.
- Reviewer for five papers in the International Journal of Image and Graphics (IJIG).
- Reviewer for a paper in PAMI (the best IEEE journal ranked #1) during 2005-06. .
- Reviewer for NSERC grant 2011;
- Reviewer for NSERC grant during December 2007- Jan 2008;
- Reviewer for NSERC grant during December 2006-Jan 2007;
- Reviewer for NSERC CRD during 2005-06;
- Reviewer for NSERC grant during 1999-00.
Member in the PhD exams:
- For a PhD student in the University of Guelph 2011.
- For one PhD students at the University of Waterloo during 2006-07.
- Member in the comprehensive exam for two PhD students at the University of Waterloo 2005-06.
Service to the university
- Member, Faculty of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies 2011-2018.
- Member, Senate, Wilfrid Laurier University, July 2002-July 2006.
- Member, The Senate Committee on Information Technologies (SCIT), November 2000-2005.
- Member, Petro-Canada award committee, June 2005.
- Member, Senate Internal Grants Committee, Wilfrid Laurier University, Sept 2002- Sept 2005.
- Member, The Grace Anderson Award committee, January 2003.
- Member, University Research Professor Selection committee, 2002.
Faculty of Science committees:
- Member, The Admissions and Student Liaison Committee starting April 10, 2003 to December 31, 2004.
Member, Prowis steering committees, 2001, 2002, 2003 and conferences 2000,2001, 2002
- My students Participated in the Poster Sessions: Derek Morin 2001, Paul Carter and Hayden Lau 2002, Jeff 2004, Dan 2005, and Jeff Armstrong 2008.
Physics & Computer Science Department:
- Member, PTAC 2011.
- Member, Department Appointment and Promotion committee 1999-2011. (every year)
- Acting Chair, Jan 2005-Feb 2005 and June 2005; June -Aug 2004, and December 2004; and June 2003.
- Member, Department curriculum committee, 2002-2005. (3 years)
- The department CO-OP Coordinator summer 2003- to summer 2005 (3 years)
- The Project Coordinator 2003-2005 (3 years)
- Member of the CAS Contract Academic Staff Hiring Committee 2004-05.
- Proposing a new course "Design of Control Systems" and helping in the new Photonics program through the curriculum committee.
- Helping in the pre-registration.
- In Aug 1999, I was able to get a donation of 10 licenses from ALTERA for the VHDL design tool valued at $24,000 us dollars, in addition to my copy $2000 and hardware. This was used in the CP120, CP/PC319 and CP464 courses.