Our research deals with synthesis
and optical properties of nanoparticles and nanocomposites.
Specifically, we are currently pursuing two major directions:
1) Shape- and size-selective synthesis of nanoscale building blocks
NBBs)) with controlled size, shape, surface, and physical properties and on the applications of these NBBs. The main emphasis of this research for the last several years was to develop and describe reliable synthetic protocols to size- and shape- select colloidal NBBs that can be readily used for functional application by other scientists and the industry.
2) Metallodielectric composites based on monodisperse particles
Core-shell particles composed of gold, silver, silica and polymers are prepared with tailored size and morphology and ordered into nanocomposites with unique properties to be explored for surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy and other optical applications.
69) Murshid, N.; Kitaev, V.* Role of PVP for selective facet stabilization in silver nanoparticles with pentagonal twinned defects. Chem. Commun., 2013, accepted with minor revisions, Nov 2013, Manuscript ID: CC-COM-10-2013-048003.
68) Murshid, N. Gourevich, I.; Coombs, N.; Kitaev, V.* Gold Plating of Silver Nanoparticles for Superior Stability and Preserved Plasmonic and Sensing Properties. Chem. Commun., 2013 49, 1155-1157. (Cover image)
67) Murshid, N.; Keogh, D.; Kitaev, V.* Optimized Synthetic Protocols for Preparation of Versatile Plasmonic Platform Based on Silver Nanoparticles with Pentagonal Symmetries. Part. Part. Syst. Charact, 2013, in press (published on line Sept 1, 2013), DOI:10.1002/ppsc.201300225.
66) von Freymann, G.; Kitaev, V.; Lotsch, B.; Ozin, G. A. Bottom-up Assembly of Photonic Crystals. Chemical Society Reviews, 2013, 42, 2528-2554. (Invited review for a special issue, written in collaboration by 4 professors in Germany and Canada).
65) Cathcart, N.; Kitaev, V.* Multifaceted prismatic silver nanoparticles: synthesis by chloride-directed selective growth from thiolate-protected clusters and SERS properties. Nanoscale, 2012, 4, 6981-6989. (Cover image)
64) Peiris, F. C.; Murphree, J. D.; Rodriguez, J. R.; Hatton, B. D.; Kitaev, V.; Ozin, G. A. Porosity tuning of the optical properties of mesoporous silica planar defect in macroporous silica opal. Journal of Applied Physics, 2012, 112, 093107. DOI: 10.1063/1.4759437.
63) Cathcart, N.; Kitaev, V.* Monodisperse hexagonal silver nanoprisms: synthesis via thiolate-protected cluster precursors and chiral, ligand-imprinted self-assembly. ACS Nano 2011, 5, 7411-7425.
62) L. Cademartiri* and V. Kitaev* "On the Nature and Importance of the Transition between Molecules and Nanocrystals: Towards a Chemistry of “Nanoscale Perfection” Nanoscale, 2011, 3, 3435-3456.
61) McEachran, M.; Keogh, D.; Pietrobon, B.; Cathcart, N.; Gourevich, I.; Coombs, N.; Kitaev, V.* Ultrathin Gold Nanoframes through Surfactant-Free Templating of Faceted Pentagonal Silver Nanoparticles. Journal of the American Chemical Society 2011, 133, 8066-8069.
60) Frank, A. J.; Rawski J.; Maly, K. E.*; Kitaev, V.* Environmentally benign aqueous oxidative catalysis using AuPd/TiO2 colloidal nanoparticle system stabilized in absence of organic ligands Green Chemistry 2010, 12, 1615-1622.
59) Cathcart, N.; Kitaev, V.* Silver Nanoclusters: Single-Stage Scaleable Synthesis of Monodisperse Species and Their Chirooptical Properties. Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2010, 114, 16010–16017. (Invited, part of the special issue “Protected Metallic Clusters, Quantum Wells and Metallic Nanocrystal Molecules”).
58) Hatton, B.; Aizenberg, J.; Kitaev V.; Perovic, D. D.; Ozin, G. A. Low-Temperature Synthesis of Nanoscale Silica Multilayers – Atomic Layer Deposition in a Test Tube. Journal of Materials Chemistry 2010, 20, 6009-6013.
57) Valadares, L. F.; Tao, Y,-G.; Zacharia, N. S.; Kitaev, V.; Galembeck, F.; Kapral, R.; Ozin, G. A. Catalytic Nanomotors: Self-Propelled Sphere Dimers. Small 2010, 6, 565-572.
56) Frank, A. J.; Cathcart, N.; Maly, K. E.; Kitaev, V.* Synthesis of Silver Nanoprisms with Variable Size and Investigation of Their Optical Properties. A First-year Undergraduate Experiment Exploring Plasmonic Nanoparticles Journal of Chemical Education,
2010, 87, 1098-1101.
55) Cathcart, N.; Frank A.; Kitaev, V.* Silver Nanoparticles with Planar Twinned Defects: Effect of Halides for Precise Tuning of Plasmon Absorption from 400 to >900 nm. Chemical Communications 2009, 46, 7170-7172.
54) Cathcart, N.; Mistry, P.; Makra, C.; Pietrobon, B.; Coombs, N.; Jelokhani-Niaraki, M.; Kitaev, V.* Chiral Thiol-Stabilized Silver Nanoclusters with Well-Resolved Optical Transitions Synthesized by a Facile Etching Procedure in Aqueous Solutions. Langmuir 2009, 25, 5840-5846.
53) Pietrobon, B.; McEachran, M.; Kitaev, V.* Synthesis of Size-Controlled Faceted Pentagonal Silver Nanorods with Tunable Plasmonic Properties and Self-Assembly of These Nanorods. ACS Nano 2009, 3, 21-26. (Featured in a Perspectives Review)
52) McEachran, M.; Kitaev, V.* Direct structural transformation of silver platelets into right bipyramids and twinned cube nanoparticles: morphology governed by defects. Chemical Communications 2008, 44, 5737-5739.
51) Kitaev, V.* Chiral nanoscale building blocks ? from understanding to applications. Journal of Materials Chemistry 2008, 18, 4745-4749. (Invited review)
50) Pietrobon, B.; Kitaev, V.* Photochemical Synthesis of Monodisperse Size-Controlled Silver Decahedral Nanoparticles and Their Remarkable Optical Properties. Chemistry of Materials 2008, 20, 5186–5190. (Featured on a cover page January to March 2009)
49) Kitaev, V.* Comment on Effect of Polar Solvents on the Optical Properties of Water-Dispersible Thiol-Capped Cobalt Nanoparticles. Langmuir 2008, 24, 7623-7624.
48) Hartlen, K. D.; Athanasopoulos, A. P. T.; Kitaev, V.* Facile Preparation of Highly Monodisperse Small Silica Spheres (15 to >200 nm) Suitable for Colloidal Templating and Formation of Ordered Arrays. Langmuir 2008, 24, 1714-1720.