Tips for Banishing Procrastination by Caitlin Mulroney
Six Tips for Banishing Procrastination
Congratulations-you’ve made it through your first few years of university and are prepared to embark upon the journey toward the completion of the second half of your degree. Having finished First and Second Year, chances are you’ve developed a system which allows you to complete your assignments accurately, and in a timely fashion. But if you’ve yet to find a way in which to manage your time and still fall prey to the temptations of procrastination, here are six tips which can help you prepare yourself for a third year workload.
1. Download, print, read and re-read every syllabus for every one of your courses.
- familiarizing yourself with the weekly course readings and assignments early can help you plan out your semester
2. Mark the due dates of every assignment in every course on your calendar.
- having a visual reminder of your assignments will help you to see how much time you have for each one is due and to plan accordingly (it’s also extremely satisfying to check them off when they’re completed!)
3. Use the Laurier Writing Centre’s assignment planner to receive step-by-step reminders to complete your work in a timely fashion.
- for more information, visit https://www.wlu.ca/writing/planner/
4. For every half hour of leisure that you allow yourself each day, devote an hour to completing school work.
- it may not seem like a lot, but if you counter the time you spend investigating the depths of the internet with twice the amount of time for your assignments, you’ll create a healthy balance between work and play
5. Think about what I like to call “Future You”.
- You might not feel like sitting down and planning that essay now, but try to imagine the stress you are placing on “Future You”. He or she will certainly not appreciate the extra work and you will regret that you hadn’t completed anything sooner.
6. Last, but certainly not least, if the five tips above cannot seem to curb your chronic procrastination problem, there is a program which will cut off one significant avenue of distraction
- “Cold Turkey” is a program which allows you to set times during which your internet connection will be completely cut off. Once you’ve set it, there is nothing you can do to re-establish your connection, so you may as well get to work on that assignment you’ve been putting off! Download the program here: http://getcoldturkey.com/