Site Accessibility Statement
Wilfrid Laurier University Faculty of Arts
May 28, 2015

Canadian Excellence

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What should I take as a first-year English major?
You are required to take two of our 100-level English courses in your first year:
EN119, EN120, EN121, and EN165. Your other courses should be selected from a variety of other departments.

2. How do I become an English major?
If you are considering switching into an English Program, you should discuss your options with the Undergraduate Officer of the Department. In March each year, students must declare their major online, whether it is being changed or not.

3. How do I switch from Honours to General or General to Honours?
If you are considering switching into Honours, you should (a) discuss this change with the Department Undergraduate Officer and (b) keep in mind that you must have the appropriate Grade Point Average to proceed in the Honours Program. Consult the worksheets under English Undergraduate Programs on this website.

4. How do I switch into English if I'm already in Year 2?
See number 2 above. Keep in mind, however, that the longer you wait to change your mind about taking an Honours program, the less likely it is that you will be able to complete requirements in four years.

5. What about a make-up year in English?
If you will graduate with a General degree but are considering a special fourth ("make-up") year in preparation for an application to graduate studies or teachers' college, please consult with the Undergraduate Officer to discuss your eligibility and course selection.

6. How soon should I register for Winter term courses?
You must choose your full complement of Fall and Winter courses at the same time. Online course selection starts in June. Consult our Handbook for registration dates and procedures.

7. What is the Department's policy on registering for courses (i.e., adding and dropping)?
All course adding and dropping is done online. Consult the University Undergraduate Calendar for add/drop deadlines.

8. How do I Register for next year's courses?
During March students declare their majors - new or unchanged - online. Information sessions will be held to prepare students for course selections and provide information about program and graduation requirements. Information will be provided which will explain the Online Registration process.

9. Whom should I see about general academic advice?
See the Senior Administrative Assistant in the Department Office (3-120 DAWB). If further consultation is required, she will make an appointment with the Undergraduate Officer.

10. Whom should I talk to about graduate studies?
For English programs, the Department has a Graduate Schools Advisor who is available to discuss graduate schools, or other post-secondary options. Check with the Department to see who is the current Advisor.

For more general FAQs and responses, check the
Faculty of Arts website