Students will be contacted (via email) with login information for Laurier's Online Audition Portal after applying to the Faculty of Music through OUAC. (www.ouac.on.ca) Students will select three preferred audition dates through the portal.
Confirmation of audition dates will be sent (via email) approximately five business days after:
- the online audition form has been completed by the student
- the Faculty of Music has received the audition payment ($50.00)
Students should audition in person, but those who live beyond 400 km from the campus may prepare a CD/DVD audition. Click here for more information.
Audition on second instrument
Applicants who have significant proficiency on a
second instrument, and would consider enrolling as a major on
either,should seriously consider auditioning on both instruments.
Players of orchestral instruments other than percussion must bring their
Confirmation of your audition appointment will arrive two weeks in advance of the scheduled date. If this date is not suitable, notify the Audition Coordinator immediately in order to arrange an alternate appointment. There is an extra $15 charge for a second audition.
Your audition day will consist of your audition, interview, and theory placement test.
- Please bring legal
copies of your pieces for the audition panel.
- Please arrive at least one-half hour before your audition time in order to have time to warm up in one of our practice rooms.
- The audition panel consists of two or three Music faculty who will assess your musicianship and technical ability.
- Professional accompanists are provided and the cost of this is included in your audition fee (there is an extra $15 charge if you are auditioning twice and need two accompanists); you must provide the music to be used by the accompanist. If you prefer, you may bring your own accompanist.
- There is a $50 audition fee (non-refundable)
- Students wishing to provide additional documentation may do so at their audition and not before (i.e. RCM transcripts)
- Cancellation or rescheduling of an audition must be received 48 hours before the scheduled audition.
- After their audition each student will be interviewed by a full-time faculty member of the Faculty of Music.
- On the day of your audition you will be asked to write a theory placement test. (Equivalent to RCM Advanced Rudiments)
Offer of Admission
Admission to Music is based primarily on the audition, but applicants must also have satisfactory academic records and satisfactory scores on the theory placement test. While some students may receive their audition results early via email, the majority of applicants will not know their results until all audition candidates on their instrument have been heard. In some cases, this may not be until late April or early May. Official offers of admission are issued only by the Office of the Registrar. For applicants who are not currently enrolled in an Ontario secondary school, admission status is determined upon completion of the audition and the receipt of official transcripts from the current and previous schools attended.
Students admitted to the Faculty of Music with unusually extensive formal training in performance, music history, or music theory, but without corresponding university credits, may earn credit for certain courses in these areas through satisfactory completion of validating examinations, which are similar to the final examinations of the courses.