Marcos Fabricio Perez
Wilfrid Laurier University, School of Business and Economics.
75 University Av. West
N2L 3C5 Canada
519-884-0710519-884-0710 ext 2532
Ph. D. Economics, Arizona State University, May 2008.
M.S. Economics, Arizona State University, May 2005.
Master Economics, CIDE Mexico, December 2004.
MBA Escuela Politecnica Nacional Ecuador, February 2002.
BA. Business Administration, Universidad Central Ecuador, February 2001.
Current: Associate Professor of Finance. Wilfrid Laurier University since July 2014
Research Assistant for Dr. Seung Ahn. Arizona State University, 2007-2008
Teaching Assistant. Arizona State University, 2004-2007
Research Assistant for Dr. Josef Brada. Arizona State University, 2003-2004
Financial and Business Processes Auditor. Sectional Government of Ecuador, 1996-2001
1. Catering through Nominal Share Prices Revisited (with Andriy Shkilko). Critical Finance Review, forthcoming.
2. Diversification through Catastrophe Bonds: Lessons from the Subprime Financial Crisis (with Peter Carayannopoulos). Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance. 40(1) 1-28 (lead article)
3. Dynamic effects of idiosyncratic volatility and liquidity of yield spreads in corporate bond markets. (with Madhu Kalimipalli and Subhankar Nayak).Journal of Banking and Finance, ,37(8) 2013, Pages 2969-2990
4. Two-Pass Estimation of Risk Premiums with Multicollinear and Near Invariant Betas(with Seung C. Ahn, and Christopher Gadarowski). Journal of Empirical Finance,Volume 20, January 2013, Pages 1-17
5. GMM Estimation of the Number of Latent Factors: With Application to International Stock Markets. (with Seung Ahn) Journal of Empirical Finance, Volume 17, Issue 4, September 2010, Pages 783-802.
6. Illicit Money Flows as Motives for FDI. (with Josef C. Brada and Zdenek Drabek). Journal of Comparative Economics. Volume 40, Issue 1, February 2012, Pages 108-126.
7. Two-Pass Cross-Sectional Regression of Factor Pricing Models: Minimum Distance Approach (with Seung C. Ahn, and Christopher Gadarowski). Journal of Financial Econometrics, Vol 10(4), September 2012, Pages, 669-701.
8. The effect of home country and host country corruption on foreign direct investment (with Josef C. Brada and Zdenek Drabek). Review of Development Economics, Vol 16(4), November 2012, Pages 640-663. 7.
9. Efectos REgionales del Libre Comercio, el caso del Noreste de Mexico, (with Gaytan, Chapa, Trevino and Genna) Pearson Education, Mexico 2015.
B. Working Papers
1. Executive Compensation and Market Valuation of Managerial Attributes (with Si Li)
2. Factor Models for Binary Financial Data (with Andriy Shkilko and Konstantin Sokolov)
3. Corruption and Multinational Investment: Micro-foundations and Empirical Evidence (with J. Brada, Z. Drabek, and J. Mendez)
4. Signalling via stock splits: Evidence from short interest (with Andriy Shkilko and Ning Tang).
5. IPO pricing and wealth allocation (with Andriy Shkilko and Ning Tang).
6. Exploring the Common Factors in the Term Structure of Credit Spreads: The Use of Canonical Correlations (with Seung Ahn and Stephan Dieckmann).
D. Work in Progress
1. Linear Estimation of the Number of Latent Factors.
2. Risk perception after the financial crisis: evidence from the CAT bond markers (with Olga Kanj and Peter Carayannopoulos)
3. Heteroskedastic corrected Heckman Selection model (with Seung Ahn)
June 2012, SSHRC Insight Development Grant. Title: The market valuation of managerial attributes and executive compensation . (47,000 CAN)
April 2009, SSHRC 4A designation. Title: “Price overreactions and information leakages in financial markets.”(4,000 CAN)
September 2010. PIERAN Mexico . Project name: "Regional Integration in the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) area, the case of Northeast Mexico" Amount: 500,000 Mexican pesos ( 45,000 CAN).
January 2012, SSHRC 4A designation. Title: “Fair Disclosure, Information Asymmetry and Short-selling in Canadian Securities Markets" (4,000 CAN)
A. Graduate Courses
1. BU843. Advanced Financial Econometrics. Wilfrid Laurier University. Class for PhD in Financial Economics students. Winter 2010, Winter 2012.
2. BU690. Economics & Quantitative Methods. Wilfrid Laurier University. Class for the Toronto MBA program. Fall 2010, 2012.
3. BU693W. CFA Review Quantitative Methods. Wilfrid Laurier University. Class for the Toronto MBA program. Spring 2010, 2013
4. BU763. Econometric for Finance. Wilfrid Laurier University. Class for Masters in Finance. Fall 2011, 2012.
5. Gauss Programming. PhD in Economics at Arizona State University. Spring 2006 and spring 2007.
B. Undergraduate Courses taught at Wilfrid Laurier University
1. BU473. Investment Management Fall 2012, Spring 2013
2. BU393. Financial Management II. Winter 2010, 2012. Spring 2009, 2011.
3. Business Statistics. Arizona State University, summer 2006.
4. Macroeconomic Principles. Arizona State University, summer and fall 2005, and summer 2007.
5. Financial Analysis. Escuela Politecnica Salesiana Quito, fall 2001.
6. Managerial Finance. Escuela Politecnica Salesiana Quito, spring 2002.