Become a practicum instructor
In the Master of Social Work (MSW) program, the practicum experience is as important as the classroom learning. Practicums provide students with the opportunity to integrate the theories, skills and knowledge acquired in their classes with real-life situations in the field. Practicums also help students find their professional "self" and develop who they will be as social workers.
To continue to have a successful practicum program, we rely on partnerships with our practicum instructors throughout Southwestern Ontario. Practicum instructors are required to provide their students with two hours of supervision per week, as well as be available to support and guide the student as necessary to work through questions, ethical issues, challenges and learning experiences. Students are encouraged to become fully integrated into their roles within the agency, whether that's carrying a caseload, developing programs, facilitating groups, conducting research projects or contributing to agency initiatives.
There are a number of benefits to being a practicum instructor:
- It's a great opportunity to gain clinical supervision experience and management skills.
- All instructors are invited to attend three full-day training workshops that cover topics such as field education, learning plans and how to have hard conversations with your students. These workshops can be used as continuing education hours.
- Agencies are awarded either $75 or $100 Professional Development Dollars (depending on the length of the term) for each student. The PD dollars can be used toward any Professional Development workshop offered by the Faculty of Social Work. A complete list of this year's workshops can be found at www.wlu.ca/fswpd.
- Instructors are given free electronic access to Laurier's library, which is also connected with the libraries at the University of Waterloo and the University of Guelph.
- Instructors are eligible for staff privileges at Laurier's Athletic Complex, which includes a fully-equipped fitness centre, three-court gymnasium, an Olympic-length pool, aerobics studios, yoga and Pilates classes, squash courts and a rock climbing wall.
To become a practicum instructor you must have an MSW and two years of post-MSW work experience, including one year in your current position.
For more information on the practicum program, or to inquire about becoming a practicum instructor, please contact Caroline Hissa, Practicum Assistant, at 519-884-0710 ext. 5269 or email@example.com.