Mechanics for Life Sciences
NOTE: YOU WILL REQUIRE THE FOLLOWING COURSE ID TO REGISTER WITH MASTERINGPHYSICS: "WLUPC141I2013"
|Class Hours||Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday - 16:30-18:20|
|Office Hours||Monday and Thursday, 2:30-3:30, or by appointment*|
Wilson, Buffa, and Lou "College Physics, 7th ed."
* for students in lab section L1, I can extend my monday office hours a bit later if you email me in advance
Lab Instructor: Hasan Shodiev, Science N2086, x2461
PC141 Laboratory: Science N2089
IMPORTANT NOTE The calendar description for PC141 indicates that the labs are "biweekly". This refers to the course as it is offered in the 12-week fall semester. For the 6-week intersession offering, labs are held every week.
Notes on the textbook
- Previous editions are probably sufficient. Generally, the only non-cosmetic difference between the editions is the numbering of the end-of-chapter problems. Since our assignments are all done online, the problem numbering is irrelevant.
- This course will use the MasteringPhysics online system to administer the assignments and quizzes. If you purchased a new copy of the textbook from the bookstore, it included an access code. If you do not purchase the text, or if you purchased a used copy without the access code, then you may purchase an access code online using a credit card. Students using MasteringPhysics must register for it during the first two days of the semester, otherwise you may miss quizzes or assignments.
- However, for legal reasons, you’re not obliged to purchase MasteringPhysics. On day 1 of class, I will explain why using MasteringPhysics is a good idea. If you still don’t want to purchase it, let me know ASAP, and I will explain the procedure for submitting written assignments and quizzes.
- WLU can not accept responsibility for additional costs incurred by students who purchase their textbooks outside of the WLU bookstore.
|Final Exam **||25%|
|Smartphone Bonus||up to 3%|