|Class Hours||MWF 11:30-12:20|
|Office Hours||Thursday, 2:00-3:30 or by appointment|
Halladay, Resnick, and Walker "Fundamentals of Physics", 9th extended ed.
T1, T2: Dr. Hasan Shodiev, Science N2086, x2461
T3: Terry Sturtevant, Science N2092A, x2049
Tutorial T1: Friday, 9:30-10:20, Arts 2C3
Tutorial T2: Friday, 10:30-11:20, Arts 2C3
Tutorial T3: Friday, 12:30-1:20, BA210
Lab Instructor: Terry Sturtevant, Science N2092A, x2049
PC131 Laboratory: Science N2090
LAB WEBSITE: http://denethor.wlu.ca/pc131/index.shtml
Odd-numbered lab sections will meet on odd-numbered weeks and even-numbered lab sections will meet on even-numbered weeks.
NOTE Odd-numbered labs start on the first week of class! Many of you will have a lab as early as the second day of the semester, so please don't miss it.
Notes on the textbook
- The 8th extended edition is sufficient. As far as I can tell, the only non-cosmetic difference between the 8th and 9th extended editions is the numbering of the end-of-chapter problems. Since our assignments are all done online, the problem numbering is irrelevant.
- Earlier extended editions are probably OK, but I can't guarantee this.
- I've never seen one of the non-extended editions, so I can't comment on them.
- We will only be covering the first 1/3 of the textbook. However, students who will be taking PC132/PC152 and/or PC212 will cover much of the material in the last 2/3 of the text.
- All students enrolled in PC131/PC151 must obtain a WebAssign code for online completion of the course assignments. If you purchase the textbook in the WLU bookstore, you will automatically receive this code bundled with the text (don't throw it out!) If you purchase the textbook elsewhere, it may not be packaged with the access code, in which case you will have to purchase it separately (this can be done online; I think it's somewhere around $35-$40...you will receive instructions on registering for and using WebAssign during the first week of class). Please keep this in mind when considering the source of your textbook purchase. WLU can not accept responsibility for additional costs incurred by students who purchase their textbooks outside of the WLU bookstore.
Special Note (Aug. 27) Currently, many copies of the textbook in the bookstore are missing the WebAssign code. When you purchase your textbook, make sure that it is shrink-wrapped with a code sheet inside. This should all be sorted out before the semester begins.
- The text is available in hardcover and "un-bound" (i.e. loose-leaf or binder-ready) versions. The latter is less expensive and easier to carry around (just put the chapter you need in a binder and leave the rest at home). However, it also has no re-sale value. There is also an e-book version, but I've never seen it. Presumably it's the same.
|Midterm Exam #1 **||10%||15%|
|Midterm Exam #2 **||10%||15%|
|Final Exam **||25%||30%|