Site Accessibility Statement
Wilfrid Laurier University Leaf
December 22, 2014

Canadian Excellence

Social Insurance Number

All international students, including visa and exchange students who work on campus are required to obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN) and provide the number to the uiversity payroll department located on 202 Regina Street.

You will not get paid or receive money from the university without a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

Applying for a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

To apply for a Social Insurance Number when you work on campus you must:

  • Have a valid Study Permit/Student Authorization and a validpassport
  • Have a letter from the university verifying that you are an international student
  • Complete a Social Insurance application form-available from the local office of Service Canada or can be downloaded from their website at
  • Have a contract of employment from the university or from your employer on-campus-availalbe at Laurier International's Interational Student Advisor:

Alvin Woods Building

Laurier International (in front of Graduate Office)



Phone: 519-884-0710 ex.6840

You do not have to pay any fee when you apply for a Social Insurance Number card the first time. Duration of employment must be within the dates contained on the Study Permit (Student Authorization). Once you have all the documents, you can take the SIN application form, employment contract, your passport and study permit to thelocal ServiceCanada office.

Service Canada

409 Weber Street West
Kitchener, ON N2H 4B1
(519) 579-1500

Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 4 pm

To apply for a Social Insurance Number when you work off-campus you must have:

  • A valid Study Permit/Student Authorization
  • Completed a SIN application
  • A valid Off-Campus Work Permit
  • A passport