Site Accessibility Statement
Wilfrid Laurier University Leaf
December 21, 2014

Canadian Excellence

Immigration Issues - Post Arrival

Renewing or Extending Study Permit or Work Permit

If you need to extend your study permit once you are in Canada, you must send your renewal application, at least 30 days prior to the expiration of your current permit, to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada Central Processing Centre, in Vegreville, Alberta.

The applcation to renew or extend your study permit can be done either online at or by submitting a paper application with the necessary forms, documents and fees.

For complete instructions on this process, please go to the Government of Canada website, or contact the International Student Advisor.

You should apply to renew your study permit if you intend to travel outside Canada and your permit will expire while you are travelling.

You cannot extend your study permit beyond the expiry date on your passport.

Restoring Your Status

If your study permit has expired, and you have not applied for an extension, you may apply to restore your status as a student within 90 days of losing it-90 days from the expiry date.

You may only apply if you have continued to meet the requirements under which you were allowed to enter and stay in Canada and you have met all the conditions imposed on your permit-see the section on applying for a study permit.

After you apply to restore your status, you may stay in Canada until a decision is made on your application but you are not allowed to study until your status has been restored.

There is no guarantee that your application to restore your status will be accepted. On your application, you must provide full details of all the facts and circumstances that caused you to lose your status.

In addition to a fee for renewing your study permit-$125CAD, there is also a fee for restoring your status-$200CAD. The fee is required for each family member who has lost status.

An officer will evaluate your request for restoration of status and will process an application for a study permit. Citizenship and Immigration Canada will advise you of any further action to be taken.

Permanent Residence

Many international students arrive with the intention of eventually obtaining their Permanent Residence in Canada, which some people refer to as being a landed immigrant. In addition to the Government of Canada programs, administered through Citizenship and Immigration Canada (, many provinces also have their own immigration programs, which are called the Provincial Nomination Programs.

There are a number of different types of applications to become a Permanent Resident, most of which require the applicant to meet specific educational, language and work experience standards, assigning "points" of assessment, with a set pass mark in order to be considered.

Currently there isa special program for graduates of Canadian post-secondary institutions, called the Canadian Experience Class. This program is an expedited program which exempts graduates from the requirement of obtaining their Permanent Residence from outside of Canada. More information about this program can be obtained through the CIC website, linked above, or by talking with WLU's International Student Advisor.

Please Note: Although this information is prepared with care, it is your responsibility to check with the closest Canadian Consulate in your Country to ensure you meet all the criteria for your Study Permit and Temporary Resident Visa.