Site Accessibility Statement
Wilfrid Laurier University Leaf
December 20, 2014

Canadian Excellence

Immigration and Customs

Immigration Documents

Before leaving for Canada to begin your studies, be sure that you have:

  1. Received confirmation from Wilfrid Laurier University that you have been admitted as a student;
  2. Obtained your Study Permit and Temporary Resident Visa (if required)
  3. Have a valid passport

Before you leave home, copy all important documents and leave them with someone with whom you will be in contact. There have been many cases where students have lost their information and having this back up was helpful.

Study Permit

After you have been accepted to our university, you have to submit your application for a study permit and a temporary resident visa, if required, to the visa office in your country.

To get your Study Permit, you have to provide the Immigration Officer with:

  • A completed application form
  • Your original letter of acceptance and your confirmation letter from our university.
  • Information about how much time you will need to complete your studies - CIC confirmation form
  • Evidence that you have adequate funds to pay your tuition and cost of living
  • A return ticket or proof that you have the funds to pay for one
  • Any other documents that are required by the visa post where you are applying.

Some students require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), in addition to their Study Permit. The TRV is an entry visa issued by a visa office abroad allowing you to enter Canada. It is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident.

To view a list of the specific countries which require a Visa, please visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

If you need a Temporary Resident Visa in addition to your Study Permit, you do not have to make a separate application or pay a separate fee. An officer will issue both at the same time before you enter Canada as a student. For more information, please go to Visiting Canada.

Finally, the Canadian Bureau for International Education (CBIE) has some useful information for international students planning to study in Canada, including details about immigration as well as awards for study in Canada. Visit CBIE through the following web link: CBIE.

Find out how to contact a visa office in your country.
Find out more about applying for a study permit at Government of Canada.
Contact WLU's International Student Advisor.

Customs and Duty

You are permitted to bring to Canada personal effects, including clothing, books, and other items you may need while you are living temporarily in Canada. If you are shipping them to arrive after you do, you must prepare a "Goods to Follow" list so that you will not be charged duty and taxes on these items when you claim them later. For instructions on importing or bringing personal effects with you, please refer to the guide prepared by the Canada Border Services Agency: