History is the study of the people events, places and ideas that have shaped the world as we know it today. Without knowledge of how society has developed and changed over time, it is difficult to understand and develop effective solutions to the issues human beings currently face. For that reason, our History program is an excellent complement to any of our honours programs. The focus of the History program at the Brantford campus includes:
- Modern European
- American and Canadian History
- History of War and Society
- Gender History
- Laurierís History Department is among the strongest in Canada for a mid-sized university, especially in Canadian, US and modern European history.
- Our faculty are very active in research and publishing, and thus are able to attract excellent graduate students to study in the Tri-University History Graduate program, one of the largest in Canada, in which we participate with the History departments at the University of Waterloo and the University of Guelph.
- War and Society in Africa
- Canadian Labour History
- History of Film
- Contemporary Europe
|4U Requirements||IB Requirements||Admission Range|
|English at 60%||HL or SL English at 4||Average in top 6 4U or M courses of low - mid 70's|
Your university history degree affirms that you have the ability to analyze a wealth of material and extract what you need from it, and know how to think critically and communicate your ideas effectively. These are skills that are valued by any employer. Our graduates have gone on to graduate programs in history across Canada, the United States and Europe. Most graduates, however, do not pursue further education in history. They find that their degree provides entry into professional programs such as law, teaching or journalism, or serves as a good foundation for a career in any number of fields.