International Student Services
The Laurier International office is the international student’s home away from home and your first stop for services. Our staff and student volunteers are dedicated to ensuring your Laurier experience is the best it can be. We encourage you to take advantage of the services, programs and resources we have to offer!
• Support with renewal of study and work permits and visas
• Pre-arrival information
• Assistance in finding temporary or long-term housing
• Orientation programs for the university and the community
• International Student Advisor
• Mentorship program
• Social programming; trips to Niagara Falls, camping and theme parks, etc
• Financial, social, cultural or personal advising, both individually and in groups
• Liaison with community groups and personnel on campus to assist in resolving issues
• Liaison with Citizenship and Immigration Canada, foreign embassies in Canada and in the US if necessary
• Support for international student groups and organizations
• Income tax information sessions
• Friendly staff to help make your Canadian educational experience successful and enjoyable
• International Peer Mentors
What We Offer You
International Peer Mentors (IPM)
Designed to help international students adapt to their new environment, Laurier’s IPM program provides support and friendship through the use of student mentors. Activities include sports events, movie nights and participation in International Development Week.
Global Engagement Strategy
The Global Engagement Strategy (GES) is a new initiative at Laurier to prepare all graduates to be citizens of the world. Not every student is able to travel abroad to have an international experience, so policies and programs are being developed to ensure that global engagement can be felt in some way by all students, faculty and staff.
The establishment of global engagement programming differentiates Laurier among other universities.
Laurier's focus is to substantially increase international student enrollment in the next five years, continue and expand our academic preparatory programs, enhance our support services for international students and ensure that global engagement activities are also leveraged locally with community organizations that have a global outlook.
International Orientation “IO week”
At the beginning of fall and winter terms, Laurier International hosts an International Orientation event for new students. All international students starting in the fall are encouraged to participate in the international student orientation program during the first week of September where they will attend workshops on academic success, health and safety, Canadian culture and other informative sessions. This is a great way to get acquainted with the Laurier campus, our academic culture, fellow international students, and the staff and volunteers from Laurier International.
Student Exchange Program: The Student Exchange program offers opportunities to enrich their own understanding of the world. If you become part of an international exchange, you continue to pay your tuition to Laurier but study and earn credits at a university outside of Canada. Click here to see the list of countries with which we have exchange agreements.