JN499: Professional Practicum
Expectations of Students
- Work with the practicum supervisor to develop the Proposal Form (Appendix A)
- Complete Directed Studies Form upon approval of Proposal Form and submit to Academic Program Assistant
- Complete insurance paperwork and submit to Academic Program Assistant
- Demonstrate active, reliable, accountable, and professional engagement in the practicum setting
- Complete and submit (to the faculty member) a weekly log of duties completed (Appendix D)
- Complete a final Self-Reflection (see Appendix E) upon the completion of the practicum
- Complete a Reflective Report upon the completion of the practicum (requirements to be determine with the Journalism Program Coordinator)
Expectations of Practicum Supervisors
The practicum supervisor will play an important role in this process. S/he will be the main contact with the student and the faculty. The expectations are:
- Work with the student to determine a working plan
- Complete, with the student, the Proposal Form (see Appendix A)
- Complete a weekly summary of duties (see Appendix B)
- Complete a final evaluation (see Appendix C)
- Focus on practical experiences that will support the journalistic development of the student
- Make available the wide range of learning opportunities and methods
Applying to JN499
Students must complete Appendix A: Proposal to express their interest in enrolling in this course. Please be advised that students are required to find their own placements and must be in consultation with the proposed supervisor prior to completing this form. The practicum supervisor is required to complete a small section of the proposal form. If you have any questions about your placement, please contact the Journalism Program Coordinator. Once your Proposal has been approved by the Program Coordinator, you will receive notification via email.
Once you have been approved for JN 499 you will need to complete a Directed Studies form as well as a WSIB form with your supervisor. Please contact the Journalism Academic Program Assistant for assistance with these forms.
If you are interested in taking JN499 in Fall 2013, please submit your completed Proposal form no later than Monday, July 29, 2013.
If you are interested in taking JN499 in Winter 2014, please submit your completed Proposal form later than Monday, November 25, 2013.
|2011||JN499 Appendix A: Practicum Proposal||Document|
|2011||JN499 Appendix B: Weekly Reporting by Supervisor||Document|
|2011||JN499 Appendix C: Final Evaluation of Practicum by Supervisor||Document|
|2011||JN499 Appendix D: Weekly Reporting by Student||Document|
|2011||JN499 Appendix E: Student Self-Reflection||Document|
|2011||JN499 Checklist for Students||Document|
|2010||JN499 Professional Practicum||Document|